Menu

Do you guys do separate copywork in manuscript

BarbinTN

Copywork is one of the few things (with math and Bible) that we do every day. Dd is still doing only print, but she's eager to start learning cursive. I plan to start her with forming letters in cursive, while still doing her main copywork lesson in print. Once she has learned all the letters, we will probably start doing a short sentence in cursive, and the rest in print, until we've worked up to doing all cursive.

I should say, I will only require her to make 3 or 4 letters so that she can concentrate on making them perfectly, and I only give (1st grade right now) about 1 sentence for copywork. Occasionally, if they are very short, I'll give two sentences. We'll increase the amount of copywork gradually.

HTH,

Melissa

Thanks! I think I read somewhere that a good recommendation was 1 sentence per grade level. I just couldn't decide if I should do both simultaneously.

Blessings!

Barb

It may depend also on your purposes/goals for copywork. I probably should have added that I use copywork to cover spelling and "grammar" (at this point, just paying attention to punctuation/capitalization) also, so it's not just penmanship practice. If I were just trying to improve penmanship and we were covering spelling and grammar with other things, I might have her do only the cursive practice - she could continue to practice/perfect her printing within the other subjects.

:)

Melissa