Menu

School Rules

Greta

Editing my post, because I realized this is the part I'm wanting input on. I think it's only fair that if I'm trying to improve my daughter's concentration and focus and behavior during school, I should be working on my own too. ;) #6 will be hard because I'm so used to spending time here while she's doing her work. And #2 because I am much too quick to think that she's not trying when she's not getting something. :( I really need to work on that!

Rules for Teacher:

1. If student has started school on time and focused well, you must give her regular and reasonable breaks.

2. Be patient with the student, and always assume she is trying her best.

3. Help student improve her habits of study, focus, and attention.

4. Plan the school week in advance, and give printed schedule or to-do list to student, so that she knows what is expected of her.

5. Remember to throw in something spontaneous and fun every once in awhile.

6. Do not answer the phone (unless it is urgent) or surf the web during school hours. Stay focused on the student and the household tasks.

Edited by GretaLynne

I like your rules. :) I've had to tell my dh that the fact that we are at home doesn't mean we're able to run to the store or whatever whenever it's convenient for him. He used to be really bad about wanting to run errands during our school day. I also don't talk on the phone during school times. It eats up too much time. I either don't answer it or just take it off the hook. I never hear my cell phone ring, so that one isn't a problem. :D

I also have to remember that sometimes fidgeting does not mean my child is not listening...

Oh, yes, good point!

I like your rules. :) I've had to tell my dh that the fact that we are at home doesn't mean we're able to run to the store or whatever whenever it's convenient for him. He used to be really bad about wanting to run errands during our school day. I also don't talk on the phone during school times. It eats up too much time. I either don't answer it or just take it off the hook. I never hear my cell phone ring, so that one isn't a problem. :D

My dh is only bad about this when he has forgotten to pay a bill, and I must drop everything and get to the post office right this minute. Luckily, that doesn't happen too often. :D

#4 is so true, I found my week goes easier when my oldest has a schedule of what she has to get done for the week.

I've never done this before - given her a schedule or list I mean. SWB mentioned it in her "Homeschooling the REAL child" talk and I thought it made a lot of sense. When I was growing up, I went to ps, and I knew exactly what the schedule was going to be every day, and what was expected of me, and when I could look forward to letting my hair down. My daughter deserves more consistency than I've been giving her.

#6 - definitely need to work on this one. :D

Yeah, me too. When I showed my list to daughter, though, it was #2 that prompted her to say, very sweetly and almost apologetically, "well, I think you could use a little work there, Mom". :lol: Poor kid!

But I don't wanna...(insert whine)

:lol: Me neither!