Menu

Has anyone taken Michael Farris online Constituional law course

The reviews I read on the site are amazing. Anyone here used the course or done the online version?

Mr Farris only does a live chat every other week and on the off week you listen to a pretaped one and of course there are weekly quizzes and such.

It is not a full year and a governement course is reccommended right before or after- I am curious if anyone has a good recc. for that to go with this?

The course is sort of thru HSLDA

Thanks for your help,

Kathy

That does sound interesting. Here's an old thread discussing the course for others who might be interested:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231636

A possible course to use before or after Farris's is Michael Sandel's Justice: What's the Right Thing To Do?

http://www.justiceharvard.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=31&Itemid=44

I watched the series when it was on PBS and found it interesting and thought-provoking. The above link lists suggested readings, discussion guides and even the video lectures. It could be about a semester long especially if you did all the readings.

HTH.

My son is taking this right now.

He isn't interested in law at all and certainly not in constitutional law. This was a poor choice of a class for him. It just does not match his interests.

Each week, you read a couple of chapters and take some very short quizzes. Every other week, there is a live chat. By live, it means "typed". There is no spoken record. There were about 80 people in the chat, but, it has dropped to about 40 by mid-term. The mid-term exam is a thoughtful question that you have to research. It was a pretend law and you had to research the constitutionality of the law.

Student interact on the forum and those interactions have been quite positive. The kids in the class, at least the ones who stick it out, are willing to engage in debate and have solid reasoning skills.

If your child is interested in law or politics, this would be a very nice class, but don't expect one-on-one time with Dr. Farris. Customer Service has been wonderful, though.

If you have specific questions, let me know and I'll ask my son. My son doesn't regret taking it, but law is not his "thing."