Menu

Deschooling?

I read about it and it made sense. There is the common thought to take one month off from any school type work, for every year the kid has been in school- in order for them to relax and unwind from the stress of school and perhaps to recover their own natural enjoyment of learning.

However I was in a particular situation where my 7yo didnt want to do any schoolwork and was very uncooperative AND I had to prove to his dad in 6 months that I could teach him. I didn't have the luxury of taking time off. And I came across a comment made by a veteran unschooler here in Australia who actually said it might be best to start homeschooling as you intend to continue. As in, if you intend to use books, start with them. That felt more realistic for my situation- so we started with an hour of desk work, an hour of read alouds, and the rest of the day for unwinding and play and park days and zoo days etc. When my dd came home she was 9 and the 2 weeks of school holidays were all the time off that she got.

I think , as with all things homeschooling and otherwise- learn to trust yourself. Your kids might really need some time off- or you might need to move into a structure, as I did. Either way, you are bound to have more free time if they are young, than they had at school. Mine have gone back to school and are disappointed with how much less free time they have now. (They are actually appreciating holidays for the first time).