Menu

GRE/ Test Prep for Adults?

I am thinking about going back to school but I need new GRE scores. My old scores were, not too brag, but really, really awesome. I think I could still rock the verbal and analytical section (is that still there?), but I know I would do horribly on the math section. It has been more than 10yrs since I've had a college math class that wasn't statistics and I don't remember much at all. It was my weak spot last time too but I wasn't nearly as far removed from it as I am now. I have always been really good at math when I do it, so I don't want to give up and just accept that I will have poor scores in math.

What would be the best way to refresh my math skills? I bought a GRE test prep book and software last time and there was not really enough explanation of the math problems to help me relearn. I was thinking that maybe I could get a homeschool math course and self teach whatever I've forgotten. Also, there were no calculators allowed in the GRE last time. I need a program like singapore for grown ups to help me do the math in my head quickly. My biggest problem on the GRE last time with math was having enough time. I could do most of the problems, but I had to do them the old fashioned long way on pencil and paper and I had a hard time doing them quickly enough that way. Any ideas? I'm not even sure if I need Algebra, or maybe I should pick up a college math book? But if I got a college math book I would need the answer key. :confused: I've been out of school so long and at home with the kids for so long that I have no current good references to write letters for me, so I feel all I have going for me will be my excellent grades and my test scores.

Giving you a bump and listening in myself.

I could have written your post - I'm in the exact same boat. I'm looking at high school math curriculum and the test prep books. I don't think I'll take a test prep course.

One thing to consider is that the GRE is now computer-based. DH just took it and apparently it morphs and changes as you answer questions and there's no going back to change an answer or review a question one you pass it by. DH took a Kaplan prep course. He's not sure how much it helped, but I think it did help him. For me, well, I've seen what the test is like and think I just need to drill math - over and over and over and over....