Menu

SOTW 1 w/SL Core B

lollie010

I don't want to complicate things AT ALL next year. I will have a 2nd and 1st grader and have planned on SL Core B (Intro. to World History Part I) for History and Read Alouds. Would it get too complicated to add SOTW 1 with the Activity Guide to Core B (old core 1)? The time period covered is the same, but SL uses Child's History of the World as a spine. I would love it if I could add a chapter or two of SOTW with an activity each week.

HMMMM. I am sure it can be done, but I just don't want it to be too much. I don't care if things don't line up exactly. The actual history reading doesn't seem like a lot in Core B. But, there is a two year old in the mix also. LOL.

I would just play the cds in the van. Course... that's what I do anyway. It's amazing what little ones can remember!! ;)

SMART. Cd's in the car would be great. I just don't want to miss out on it and I don't want to wait until the next time through the ancients to do SOTW. I could just use the Activity guide as a resource since SL doesn't really have that much.

You can easily mesh the two but I would highly suggest picking either SOTW or CHOW and not try to do both. Pick one for your spine and the other Core 1 books will fall right into place. I think I already have a schedule for that... some.where. :blink: I personally love CHOW but totally understand the desire to do SOTW. If you really just can't decide which one to use, then you can use this chart: http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/chowsotw.htm. to match the chapters up. I tried that and it was too much for us but you may love it. I wish I had not done it that way. Anyways, if you pick SOTW, the kiddos can still read CHOW later on as independent reading when they are a little older. Then, you could use the CHOW CD-rom, too!

You can easily mesh the two but I would highly suggest picking either SOTW or CHOW and not try to do both. Pick one for your spine and the other Core 1 books will fall right into place. I think I already have a schedule for that... some.where. :blink: I personally love CHOW but totally understand the desire to do SOTW. If you really just can't decide which one to use, then you can use this chart: http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/chowsotw.htm. to match the chapters up. I tried that and it was too much for us but you may love it. I wish I had not done it that way. Anyways, if you pick SOTW, the kiddos can still read CHOW later on as independent reading when they are a little older. Then, you could use the CHOW CD-rom, too!

I just saw the CHOW cd-rom. Do you know anything about it.

As far as SOTW--I really want to do some of the stuff from the activity guide. Would it be possible to do CHOW and just plug in appropriate acitivities and extra readalouds from the activity guide. BTW--Ja. made me read the Discovery of the Americas and the Columbus book and the North American Indians book all before breakfast this morning. Thanks for letting me borrow. That boy can listen to anything. The whole time E. was talking and Jo. was crying. But, Ja. was saying "keep reading--I can hear you. I'm paying attention. Please keep reading." It was chaos!

I just saw the CHOW cd-rom. Do you know anything about it.

Yes, you can have mine.

As far as SOTW--I really want to do some of the stuff from the activity guide. Would it be possible to do CHOW and just plug in appropriate acitivities and extra readalouds from the activity guide. Yes, no problem.

BTW--Ja. made me read the Discovery of the Americas and the Columbus book and the North American Indians book all before breakfast this morning. Thanks for letting me borrow. That boy can listen to anything. The whole time E. was talking and Jo. was crying. But, Ja. was saying "keep reading--I can hear you. I'm paying attention. Please keep reading." It was chaos!

:thumbup1:

I just added SOTW to Core B. We're on week 11 this week. I wasn't planning to add it in but my ds likes CHOW so much that he was asking me to read a chapter every day. I don't want to accelerate the core so I got SOTW1 from the library just to see if it would be a good addition and, so far, it's perfect. I don't plan on using every chapter of SOTW but we'll get to most of it. I think SOTW and CHOW make a good pair. I also got the activity book but haven't put it into practice yet. We haven't needed any extra activities.

ETA: I don't plan SOTW at all. I just open it and see which chapter relates to what we've read in CHOW. Easy! I do have the correlation chart but the chapter headings are descriptive enough.

Edited by Dinsfamily

I just added SOTW to Core B. We're on week 11 this week. I wasn't planning to add it in but my ds likes CHOW so much that he was asking me to read a chapter every day. I don't want to accelerate the core so I got SOTW1 from the library just to see if it would be a good addition and, so far, it's perfect. I don't plan on using every chapter of SOTW but we'll get to most of it. I think SOTW and CHOW make a good pair. I also got the activity book but haven't put it into practice yet. We haven't needed any extra activities.

ETA: I don't plan SOTW at all. I just open it and see which chapter relates to what we've read in CHOW. Easy! I do have the correlation chart but the chapter headings are descriptive enough.

Thanks. I think I will just give it a try. I think my son will want more and dd will want les. Lol. As for the activity guide--do you think it would add anything. I'm queen of having things on the shelf and never using. My library has a few activity books that will work for the timeframe, but sotw really looks good.

Thanks. I think I will just give it a try. I think my son will want more and dd will want les. Lol. As for the activity guide--do you think it would add anything. I'm queen of having things on the shelf and never using. My library has a few activity books that will work for the timeframe, but sotw really looks good.

SOTW really is good. So is CHOW, so I'm glad they go well together. We're just a narrative kind of family. I got both the activity book and SOTW 1 from the library just so I could make sure it wouldn't sit on the shelf. Now that I know we'll be using SOTW, I'll purchase it. I'll look through the activity book more in depth tonight. We don't really need a lot of hands on from history because we get plenty in our other subjects so YMMV. I am planning on building a collage for each major civilization we cover. Kind of like a lap book for lazy moms. We might do the occasional really cool hands-on project though. I also need to look ahead at the Core Tips to see how useful they're going to be. We just started week 11 which is only a couple weeks into Egypt.

SOTW really is good. So is CHOW, so I'm glad they go well together. We're just a narrative kind of family. I got both the activity book and SOTW 1 from the library just so I could make sure it wouldn't sit on the shelf. Now that I know we'll be using SOTW, I'll purchase it. I'll look through the activity book more in depth tonight. We don't really need a lot of hands on from history because we get plenty in our other subjects so YMMV. I am planning on building a collage for each major civilization we cover. Kind of like a lap book for lazy moms. We might do the occasional really cool hands-on project though. I also need to look ahead at the Core Tips to see how useful they're going to be. We just started week 11 which is only a couple weeks into Egypt.

OOOHHH. I really like the collage idea. I have tried lapbooks before and they just didn't work out for us. Have fun with Egypt!!