Menu

Math grading question

melmichigan

When correcting work involving fractions or decimals, when not specified in the question, do you mark it wrong if your DC uses the opposite form in the answer?

My DD often works in fractions for decimals or decimals for fractions depending on which she can do easier in her head.:lol: So far, unless it is specified in the problem or in the section we are working on (these are usually review questions) I don't mark them as long as they are equivalents, but I"m wondering if I should.

When correcting work involving fractions or decimals, when not specified in the question, do you mark it wrong if your DC uses the opposite form in the answer?

My DD often works in fractions for decimals or decimals for fractions depending on which she can do easier in her head.:lol: So far, unless it is specified in the problem or in the section we are working on (these are usually review questions) I don't mark them as long as they are equivalents, but I"m wondering if I should.

I would mark it correct unless it is specified in which form the answer has to be - because both representations ARE the same number, and it is great that your DD recognizes that and can convert between the forms. There really is no difference between 0.5 and one half.

If you want her to use a specific form for a certain reason, or, as Dana does, want her to use the same form as the numbers on the problem, you should specify this request or make it a general rule she is aware of. Only then would I feel it fair to take points off.