Menu

Biblical Hebrew program like MP Latin??

Mommyfaithe

Is there a program to teach bi local hebrew out there for kids that is like Memoria Press Latin? I really like Latina Christiana...and would like something like that.

I can read and write Hebrew....and would like to do this with my kids, but can nit find any resources.

Any ideas?

Faithe

You know, there is a real problem on the market regarding Hebrew. Somebody should finally write a solid Hebrew program that would be homeschool-friendly, yet equivalent of Henle / Athenaze / etc., i.e. meaty enough to get out of it with a real, tangible knowledge. But I suppose there isn't enough interest out there for somebody to put up with that.

Currently, the situation is that one has a choice between day school materials (which many cannot use due to lack of familiarity with Hebrew, as those usually assume a teacher who knows what they're doing and are often Hebrew-only, and many others cannot or do not wish to use due to "ideological" reasons, as they disagree with pedagogy or wish to teach Hebrew through not so overwhelmingly "Jewish" lenses), materials which are aimed at older students and usually teach modern Hebrew but incorporate Biblical and literary texts (such as Ivrit min hahatchala, which I still find quite good for its purpose, though maybe not kid-friendly) or just tailoring your own program.

The http://sarahdavid.com/ is a nice beginning. They also have a cd to go with it; there is a short clip with the Hebrew

that is a fun way to learn the different songs. (This is put on by the Sarah & David Company)

I purchased the Homeschool pack, minus the Sat morning prayer book and one other the same price, and subbed in the Teacher's Manual. Of course, I don't mind the Jewish influence, it's pretty appropriate the way that it's there. :)

:)

You know, there is a real problem on the market regarding Hebrew. Somebody should finally write a solid Hebrew program that would be homeschool-friendly, yet equivalent of Henle / Athenaze / etc., i.e. meaty enough to get out of it with a real, tangible knowledge. But I suppose there isn't enough interest out there for somebody to put up with that.

Currently, the situation is that one has a choice between day school materials (which many cannot use due to lack of familiarity with Hebrew, as those usually assume a teacher who knows what they're doing and are often Hebrew-only, and many others cannot or do not wish to use due to "ideological" reasons, as they disagree with pedagogy or wish to teach Hebrew through not so overwhelmingly "Jewish" lenses), materials which are aimed at older students and usually teach modern Hebrew but incorporate Biblical and literary texts (such as Ivrit min hahatchala, which I still find quite good for its purpose, though maybe not kid-friendly) or just tailoring your own program.

This has been my problem. I wish I had the skills to write the program, but my Hebrew is so rusty...and I just couldn't do it justice. I don't mind a mild to moderate Jewishness to the program...because I am a Jewish Christian....but we are not legalistic at all. I would love a program that starts with learning the alphabet....moves on to simple words and verb conjugations, noun declensions, a few psalms to memorize....maybe even som history of Israel. I would like for my kids to eventually read the bible in Hebrew.

Faithe

This has been my problem. I wish I had the skills to write the program, but my Hebrew is so rusty...and I just couldn't do it justice. I don't mind a mild to moderate Jewishness to the program...because I am a Jewish Christian....but we are not legalistic at all. I would love a program that starts with learning the alphabet....moves on to simple words and verb conjugations, noun declensions, a few psalms to memorize....maybe even som history of Israel. I would like for my kids to eventually read the bible in Hebrew.

Tal Am / Tal Sela is good for youngsters, but it is designed specifically for classrooms and they do not often sell to individuals - but maybe you can somehow get the hold of their materials via somebody else. They have those nice big posters, graded readers and stuff; I actually liked them because they were not legalistic, and mixed Jewish content with a modern language approach, but that alone would not bring about the knowledge of language enough for Bible, it is more of "exposure" program in many of its aspects. But then there is a huge gap between such programs and materials for modern Hebrew for adults, or Israeli materials for Tanach and history in their schools (for which you need modern Hebrew as a source language, I find myself being able to use those only now with my kids). Nothing in the middle. I would really really like to see a good program, something that might be used by a lot of people without getting divisive in terms of group-specific religious content, you know, just plain focus on lashon and Biblical text (and, maybe separately, Hebrew literature throughout history, because I am DYING for a program that would nicely incorporate all the beautiful Halevi, Ibn Gabriol up until Agnon of modern times, nicely annotated, etc., not for me having to piecemeal and struggle getting good school editions for kids).

I have been looking for something like that for ages (because we also did not want to do Judaics primarily via legalist aspect), but meanwhile I just gave up, stressed modern spoken Hebrew and decided to use Israeli stuff. These have good stuff for many school subjects, and many interdisciplinary studies of a particular topic throughout epochs of writing (such as Ruth, then all about Ruth via Jewish scholarship and literature throughout epochs of Jewish history), so we did some of that. But again, for all of that one needs solid Hebrew first, and then one needs not to mind particular "Jewish" lenses. How to get that Hebrew still remains the main problem, even if one were to use Israeli materials which "break" Tanach nicely for kids.

All in all, the situation with Hebrew on the market is quite bleak, many programs have an okay start, but then a jump to Bible is just too big one to make.

Good luck in finding what fits your situation. I have no words of help, but I hope you find at least something, until somebody decides to fill that gap on the market. :)

Faithe

Try the Sarah and David one :) It's really not expensive, considering, and it's fun. My son learned all of the aleph bet in maybe 3 days?

There is a very inexpensive on line Hebrew Alphabet course, usually runs in the summer. Here's the link http://lphrc.net/courses.html#Alphabet It's a simple intro that will teach you a few words.

Also, I have something published by SonRise Publications It seems to be out of print but you can get old copies from other sellers through Amazon. I think it would fit your request for something similar to MP. Here's the amazon link. http://www.amazon.com/Hebrew-Made-Easy-Robert-Hernandez/dp/0615113354