Menu

Photography Question

I'm hoping someone is knowledgeable in the area of photography. This forum is always a wealth of info. :)

I have been looking for a studio to get my newborn's picture taken. (We moved 10 months ago; not near any studios we've used before.) She is our 4th kiddo and we have a picture taken when they are 5-6 weeks old. We always get a 11x14 canvas to frame/hang. It's been 5 yrs since our last baby was born and prices are much higher than they use to be. The 2 studios I have contacted have said that the 11x14 canvas would be $300 and $500!?! Not an option. I saw that Sears will do one for $150.

My question...is the quality of a canvas print at a professional studio better than what I would get at Sears or is it basically the same? I would cry if a few years from now it started to fade or wear. The 3 I have now look just as good as when I first got them. We've been to Sears for pictures before, but it's the quality of the canvas and durability that I'm most interested/concerned with. I don't want to regret going with the cheaper option if in the long-run it doesn't hold up as well.

(BTW...it's a basic/simple shot. Wouldn't take a highly skilled photographer to do. All white so no color quality concerns.)

Thanks for any help...

Gloria

The area you live in plays a huge part in pricing. I charge a lot less, living in a tiny town in Western NC, than a photographer in the city in the next county over. I do believe you would get better quality canvas from a private studio, if they use a professional print lab. A canvas from a pro lab should be treated to prevent fading. Also, keep in mind that babies are some of the hardest subjects to photograph, and the editing can be very time consuming. It's not about just snapping a photo. White can be very tricky too. You are paying for a photographer's time and talent in capturing the image, not just the canvas it's printed on. You definitely get what you pay for! HTH!

Edited by Nakia

Thanks, Nakia. I talked with a friend today who highly recommended another homeschool mom close by. Her website looks great, so I will probably go with her. I appreciate the offer.

Tammy, it's a simple shot so the age has never been a problem thus far. Photographers have been happy with how easy our request is. :001_smile: Hopefully this time will be no different.

Gloria