Menu

Rigorous math sequence for a math major?

JumpyTheFrog

When I went to college, I took math through Differential Equations, plus some undergrad and graduate level statistics courses. It wasn't enough for a math major at my college (an engineering school), although it was almost enough courses at some less rigorous state schools.

Anyway, two kids and a decade later, I'm thinking of returning to school to major in math or math education. I got As and Bs the first time, but I really think my algebra skills were my weak point. I had AP credit and skipped Calc 1 and 2, which may have also caused some problems.

I would like to shore up all my weak areas and would even consider redoing (on my own) everything from algebra on up. I got an A in calc 3 at the time, but it took 8+ hours of homework per week, plus lots of help from the math geeks to do it.

So, for all you professors and math lovers out there, what sequence and curriculum should I use to prepare myself? I was looking at MIT's Open Courseware, but that's for calculus and up.

Thanks for any suggestions you have.

I don't really have good suggestionsfor reviewing, but wanted to comment on something you wrote:

I got an A in calc 3 at the time, but it took 8+ hours of homework per week, plus lots of help from the math geeks to do it.

That is the right amount of time to spend on a four or five hour class. The rule of thumb is 2 hours out of class for every hour in class, and while it may not apply to some easier classes, it is definitely the right order of magnitude for math and science classes. So you may have skewed expectations - I would expect a calculus student to spend 8-10 hours per week outside of class. Just to put things into perspective.

Since you learned it once and have forgotten, have you considered something like ALEKS, which is designed to find your weak points and give you practice in them? There was a free trial -- you could try it for a month and see how you liked it.