Menu

AAR suitable for older child with speech delays?

lorrainejmc

I have been looking for a reading/LA curriculum for my 7yr old ds who has speech/language delays. He has had hearing probs in the past but that is now resolved.

This year we have used Get Set for School from HWT and Letterland Early Years (UK) Letterland was OK, we have gone through the letters and their sounds but he is not near fluent in knowledge or even his speech yet, and the next level of Letterland is full on phonics.

He has very good visual learning ability and is a real whizz at Starfall ABC's level. We really need to help him with his listening and understanding, though.

So, I feel drawn to All About Reading level pre 1. He would love the puppet, and from what I have seen of the samples, I think it would provide what is lacking in his skills. Has anyone used it with an older child?

BTW, I would plan to combine it HWT level K, I have all the manipulatives:001_smile:

I don't have an older child, but I do have a just-turned-five-year-old with articulation delays. I have actually heard her speech becoming clearer when we work on the rhyming, sentence segmenting, and other activities. Even though we haven't entered into the letter sounds part of the curriculum yet (she already knows hers), I am still noticing benefits for her, and I'm thrilled :).

I just wanted to chime in because of her speech difficulties. I think that the program IS useful for helping with that (we are on lesson 14 or so, so it is still early, but I'm very happy with it).

I don't have an older child, but I do have a just-turned-five-year-old with articulation delays. I have actually heard her speech becoming clearer when we work on the rhyming, sentence segmenting, and other activities. Even though we haven't entered into the letter sounds part of the curriculum yet (she already knows hers), I am still noticing benefits for her, and I'm thrilled :).

I just wanted to chime in because of her speech difficulties. I think that the program IS useful for helping with that (we are on lesson 14 or so, so it is still early, but I'm very happy with it).

That's another reason why I'm drawn to it. My other ds, who is 5 is learning to read with 100EZ lessons (my 7yr old ds is nowhere near ready for this). The 5 yr olds speech was already fairly clear but he was missing a couple of sounds, but since starting 100 EZ lessons I can hear improvement in the production of these sounds. He is beyond the scope of AAR level pre1 but I can't wait to get it for my 7yr old with speech delays. :D