Menu

Would you do a reading program?

Mamabug

What is the value in doing a "reading" curriculum in say grade 4 or 6? Is there more to it than just reading comprehension?

I am interested in CLE's reading program but not sure what to compare it to or what the goal is of any reading curriculum.

I am trying to avoid oral narration and "mommy intensive" programs. I think my kids need to see their answers on paper to better analyze them.

Thanks,

Kimberly

In my limited experience, most children are turned off to reading by reading programs. My grammar stage kids all just read once they are fluent in phonics. Starting in 5th grade I'll do some introductory lit. analysis, but orally first, working toward a written response. We have never notebooked their literature selections. I usually just ask them their favorite part of the story after they've read the book. My kids never complain about reading, even for school. That's just what works for us.:001_smile:

Reading programs for building fluency in the early years? I'm in favor of specifically chosen books that increase in length, difficulty of vocabulary etc. in an appropriate sequence. However, beyond that I'm not a big fan of a formal reading program, particularly if it involves only excerpts or short stories! I just let them read real books that interest them :).

For the past few years, my DD has read books that I've assigned to her and we discuss them a little bit. She also reads tons on her own. Occasionally, she'll have a writing assignment having to do with one of the books she has read, but usually she picks which book she wants to use. For next year, 5th, we will be focusing more on beginning literary analysis as she's ready and wants to do more as well. We will be using 2-3 books in this series:

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Selling-Chapters-McGraw-Hill-Jamestown-Education/dp/0890618453/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1303177525&sr=8-4

I have all 5 introductory books and like what they have to offer, but we'll see how I feel once we get going. I need some guidance myself when it comes to teaching literary analysis, so I figure this is a good start. She will also continue to read a variety of novels both connected to our history and novels of her choice.