Menu

I have a common name, which has brought me all kinds of grief

ever since I got married and took dh's name. It wasn't so bad when my dry-cleaning got mixed up w/someone else's same name in the first year of marriage. It's all the years since then - that my SS# has become intertwined with 2-3 other women who have my name. I am hounded by debt collectors via mail and phone calls.

When I look into it, the only solution I can find is to change my name. And I would use my surname in a heartbeat. . . but spending over $300 to change my name makes me pause and think, "Could there be another way to go about this? A way that's less expensive?"

Do you know if there's another way to separate my name and my SS# once and for all from 'everyone' else's?

Thanks, :banghead:

ever since I got married and took dh's name. It wasn't so bad when my dry-cleaning got mixed up w/someone else's same name in the first year of marriage. It's all the years since then - that my SS# has become intertwined with 2-3 other women who have my name. I am hounded by debt collectors via mail and phone calls.

When I look into it, the only solution I can find is to change my name. And I would use my surname in a heartbeat. . . but spending over $300 to change my name makes me pause and think, "Could there be another way to go about this? A way that's less expensive?"

Do you know if there's another way to separate my name and my SS# once and for all from 'everyone' else's?

Thanks, :banghead:

Do you have a midldle name? Is it less common?

If not, use your maiden name on your social security card.