Menu

Hebrew suggestions for 4th grader

CarrieF

My son is very interested in learning Hebrew, but I have absolutely NO IDEA what makes for a good/solid curriculum when it comes to teaching Hebrew. I am hoping there is something out there that he can use independently?! (It'd be awesome to learn it myself, but since I am short on "free time" right now, that isn't really an option. :D ) My son is gifted, especially when it comes to anything to do with languages, if that helps you give an informed suggestion.

Thank you!

Give these two resources a look-see. If your son is gifted, maybe you two should evaluate them together to see what you think...

http://www.milingua.com/ <--Some free and some paid lessons, I haven't investigated it much, but it looks quality. And the price doesn't seem that unreasonable. $70 at most but there are cheaper options.

http://fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php?page=Hebrew <---100% free, modern Hebrew, could be a great place to start, though you and your son may need to plan it out together.

You might think of having him prove his dedication by completing X amount of FSI Hebrew and all the Free materials on Milingua before you buy anything, that way you can be sure not to spend money where your son wont reliably spend his time and energy.

Good luck.

What type of Hebrew? Modern Hebrew or Ancient/Biblical Hebrew?

That is a question I didn't even know I should ask! I'm going to guess that he would be interested in Ancient/Biblical Hebrew because he says he wants to be able to read the Bible in its original languages. :D

Thanks for the feedback!