Menu

is there a comprehensive list out there of language arts curricula?

Home School Reviews has reviews by category, including a language arts section. The list is probably not absolutely complete, but it usually has all of the major publishers and programs listed.

http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/reviews/category.aspx?id=33

I haven't found a "language arts" curriculum from one specific publisher that I like, so I have been putting together my own. Here is my plan for 3rd grade next year if you are interested. It sounds like a lot, but it doesn't take as long as it looks. The +/- choices are new things that I am planning to try for next year.

Reading: choices from SL, VP, and +/- HOD

Reading comprehension and Thinking Skills: +/- VP literatures guides for some of the books, Critical Thinking workbook grade 3 (Steck-Vaughn), WWE2 (finish) and then start on WWE3

Spelling: Spelling Power

Vocabulary: Wordly Wise 3000 grade 3, +/- Dynamic Literacy Wordbuild

Grammar: Rod and Staff grade 3

Writing/Composition: IEW SWI-level A

Handwriting: A Reason for Handwriting (level C)

Literature (my dh and I reading to our kids): selections from Honey for a Child's Heart and All Through the Ages: History and Literature Guide

Home School Reviews has reviews by category, including a language arts section. The list is probably not absolutely complete, but it usually has all of the major publishers and programs listed.

http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/reviews/category.aspx?id=33

I haven't found a "language arts" curriculum from one specific publisher that I like, so I have been putting together my own. Here is my plan for 3rd grade next year if you are interested. It sounds like a lot, but it doesn't take as long as it looks. The +/- choices are new things that I am planning to try for next year.

Reading: choices from SL, VP, and +/- HOD

Reading comprehension and Thinking Skills: +/- VP literatures guides for some of the books, Critical Thinking workbook grade 3 (Steck-Vaughn), WWE2 (finish) and then start on WWE3

Spelling: Spelling Power

Vocabulary: Wordly Wise 3000 grade 3, +/- Dynamic Literacy Wordbuild

Grammar: Rod and Staff grade 3

Writing/Composition: IEW SWI-level A

Handwriting: A Reason for Handwriting (level C)

Literature (my dh and I reading to our kids): selections from Honey for a Child's Heart and All Through the Ages: History and Literature Guide

Oh, thank you very much! That is actually really helpful to me. (And, being a newbie, I am assuming SL = Sonlight, VP = Veritas Press, HOD = Heart of Dakota, right?)

I have twins who will be in 3rd, and sometimes they are competitive, so I like them to read different books (off a pre-selected list).

Gah, sometimes I feel like I know what I'm doing, and other times I'm just WHAMMED by how much I do NOT know and how much I NEED to know.

I am going to spend some time with that list - I also thought, hey, I could look in my Rainbow Resources catalog, too, right?

(We are doing R&S this year, and also Reason for Handwriting.)

Edited by Katie

Oh, thank you very much! That is actually really helpful to me. (And, being a newbie, I am assuming SL = Sonlight, VP = Veritas Press, HOD = Heart of Dakota, right?)

Yes, that is right!

The most useful books I have found so far for making curricula choices are by Cathy Duffy (100 Top Picks, etc.) which I checked out from the library. Since there is so much available, I appreciate her choices as a good starting place for my research.

I like to make a plan for the next year, and then I go to a homeschool convention where I can look at the books before I buy them.