Menu

Apologia Biology

I just finished posting on my blog a very long entry explaining how we used Apologia Biology this year using a WTM and CM approach. I list out the books and activities that we used to incorporate nature study and living books.

Here is the link if you are interested:

Apologia Biology and Charlotte Mason

As a side-note: I want to say to all that are sticking with TWTM program through the grammar and logic stages, memorizing the things that SWB lists in the book for science has been so helpful as we reach the rhetoric stage.

Barb-Harmony Art Mom

Thanks Barb! I'll head over there when I have time tonight. I'll be doing Apologia Bio with two of mine next year (with a group setting for labs). I really enjoyed it last time around. BTW, I popped over to your blog not long ago and enjoyed the post about the One Small Square. As soon as my oldest finishes his two AP tests next week, I plan on having my dc do that project. How fun!

Blessings,

Lisa

Barb,

Wow! You are an inspiring teacher!

But, I'm not familiar with how to do a "Nature Study". Does the handbook you mentioned teach you/tell you what to do? I need something with some definite objectives or lists of things to do. (Sorry, I've never read Charlotte Mason, so maybe it's in there?)

Thanks,

Rhonda

There are lots of ways to going about it but in our family we have always use our interests as the catalyst for nature study. We kept nature journals, looked up info on things we saw during our outdoor time, and kept field guides close at hand. This past year though we started using the Handbook of Nature Study to help give us some structure to our time. This book has a whole introduction that teaches you, the parent/guide, how to help your child with nature study. The book is old, written in the early 1900's but it is still pertinent today. It is not meant as a field guide but it helps you guide your children through a study of nature by introducing a field of interest such as insects or trees or birds and then it lists out many common subjects with observation and learning suggestions.

I know some say that this book is only good to use if you live in a certain area of the US but I know people all over the world that are using it and getting a lot of valuable tools from it.

I have a whole blog dedicated to nature study and using the Handbook of Nature study.

Handbook of Nature Study

Give it a look and you probably will find some ideas. Look on the right sidebar for a category "How To Get Started with HNS" and these will be posts that will give you a book idea if the book will work for you or not.

Hope that helps. Nature study can be very relaxed but have a framework and that is what my Green Hour Challenges are about and those are listed on my nature blog too.

Barb

I don't have any problem with you printing out the DWC lessons from my blog. I hope they are something that will benefit many families. The lessons that I have on my sidebar are focused on helping you to learn how to apply the lessons to your nature journal.

I actually think these is something that you could use with any ages of children, including high school, to increase their skills in drawing for their nature journals which is a part of our family's biology assignments.

Have fun,

Barb