Menu

Beachbody Question--Injuries?

Hi Beachbody users! These programs really interest me as a life long exerciser; however, I'm not sure if I can use them. I'd love your input.

I am approaching 50 :tongue_smilie:, and I am finding that my upper back/shoulder muscles don't cooperate with me when I try to exercise. I have spent my life exercising--aerobics ala Jane Fonda, strength training, many group fitness classes, spinning, pilates, zumba......I've done all of these things and loved it. I do well with classes.

Unfortunately, as I've gotten older, my upper back muscles tend to spasm easily. Nothing hurts while I'm exercising, it's a couple of days later, and by then I'm injured without warning. I try to avoid exercises that stress that area, but it's almost impossible. I also think that I may be more likely to go "full on" in a group fitness setting, whereas with a video, I'd be more likely to modify when necessary.

My question is, do you think I could modify or substitute exercises with these videos (push up position is the absolute worst for me!)? If I did make substitutions, would the videos still produce reasonable results or would I simply be turning them into old lady exercises and lose the benefit? (The old lady classes my be where I'm headed, but if so, I might as well do them in a class at the rec center.)

What do you think?