Menu

Tell me about On Cloud Nine Math.

I'm teaching remedial math to a 14 yo who I suspect has some processing issues. He can learn and carry out algorithms, but his level of actual understanding is not very good.

Yesterday I was trying to teach him area and perimeter using manipulatives. What was immediately noticeable is that he counted inaccurately sometimes! And he actually had to count, slowly, four blocks-he did not look at the blocks and recognize that there were four, without counting them. I'm wondering if a kid this old could benefit from On Cloud Nine. I know only that it is a Lindamood Bell program (I'd buy the manual and do it with him) that helps kids to visualize quantities. Any thoughts?

Hi Catherine, I bought the materials and guide for this book and tried it with my daughters who are 12. It may their age or middle school mother/daughter relationship, but I got real resistance with it being "too babyish". It takes you all the way back to counting on a number line, which frankly, they could use help with, but they were so resistant to all the "too easy" stuff, I gave up. Meanwhile, they still struggle with simple computations and number sense.

I recently checked with Lindamood Bell about having a trained teacher administer it, and they require 4 hours a day at over $100 an hour, 5 days a week for 8 -12 weeks. Doing the math, LOL, for two children, it was a non-starter for us.

I will say the materials were high quality, and the book was easy to understand.

Beth in MD

I actually have a question for Beth in MD.

How easy (or difficult) is it to try to implement the Cloud Nine program at home if you have not been officially trained at a LindamoodBell Center? If my son did cooperate, is this parent-friendly?? I know that going to an actual center is out of our price range at this point.

Michelle

Michelle, I would say the book and materials were very parent friendly..incremental and almost scripted. I can not imagine doing it for four hours a day, which is what they do at the Lindamood Bell center, but it can't hurt to try it at home. They do offer parent training sessions which would be much cheaper.

And yes, with the last poster, I too was shocked at the cost of the program. That was not even in-home, we would have to travel about an hour a day to do it.

I appreciate the tip on the book...I will have to get it!

Beth in MD

You might also want to take a look at Stern Structural Mathematics and Addacus. I was just looking at some of the samples from the manuals on the Addacus site and they look like fun. I may have try this, to add to my collection of math programs;) They have a sampler pack which is a nice way to try it out without the total expense upfront.

Beth in MD