Menu

Use of moving pictures during the worship service....a vent....

Well, my church is fast growing but a lot has changed in the the nine years we've been going there. One change I really don't like is the use of moving pictures during the songs and the offering. There are two huge flat screens on the wall that have the words to the songs and now they've recently started putting in nature scenes accompanied by the songs and scriptures. The pictures are constantly changing which make me a bit seasick if I look at them too long and they are very distracting. I prefer my own imagination when I'm meditating. I'm almost tempted to leave the church for that reason. On top of it, they are asking for money to put flat screens in all the children's Sunday School classes. What's wrong with paper? Shouldn't the money be used for scholarships for youth events for the teens who can't afford the retreats or Bible for new members who don't have one yet and so on? Or audio aids for the hard of hearing so they can hear the sermon? Or a paid sign language interpretor?

I'm way too much of a traditionalist to like something like AV media during mass. I don't even like it when the pianist announces, "Please join us in our communion song, number such-and-such."

I'm trying to pray here, lady, I don't need you blaring out song numbers. :001_huh: :glare:

I don't visit churches often, but when I do it's usually my mom's Orthodox church. One year I went with my in-laws to a local church that was hosting some well-known singers, and it was a church that had the full stage, band, stage lights, flat screens, etc. SOOO not what I was expecting! Dh and I thought it was trying to appeal to the Nintendo Generation.

I totally agree with you that technology is not necessary to get the message across. When we focus on the material side, we lose focus on the real message. I would suspect the church is getting a little big for its britches.