Menu

college planning

My 11 year old is taking community college classes atm and he is getting ready to graduate high school so that he can take more classes. Does anyone know if he will need to have SAT scores to move onto a 4 year college later? Or will he just be able to transfer from cc without them?

It depends. Some colleges, especially small liberal arts colleges (LACs) want to see ACT or SAT scores for transfer students. Most public universities don't, but you have to check each school's requirements. It is interesting trying to fit our accelerated homeschool kids into the admission boxes for both private and public universities, but with a little research and asking lots of questions you can figure it out. The folks in admissions departments are always happy to answer questions.

Check also with your local community college first. Most California community colleges have agreements with UC and CSU schools so that credits will transfer. There is the TAG program that is supposed to guarantee admission into the UCs with a minimum GPA, and there are the IGETC -- the Intersegmental general education transfer curriculum that matches community college classes with general ed classes for several private colleges within California and with state colleges in Arizona and Oregon.

I just spent my morning looking all this up as my 16yo is hoping to transfer soon from community college to an out of state LAC. (We are heading on our first trip for visiting colleges next week.) I don't know about your local cc, but the budget cuts are so grim here that I'd rather my ds transfer sooner than later as it is virtually impossible for him to get the classes he needs and wants. The San Diego community colleges are not even offering summer school!

I have gleaned all this from the community college website and from reading up on specific colleges at collegeboard.com, collegeconfidential.com and usnews.com. Here is an example of what I found yesterday at usnews.com: tips for transfer students.

I'm not on the TAGMAX boards, but have heard mention of college discussions there, which might be even more helpful with your situation.

This is all excellent information, Jennifer. Thank you! I couldn't agree more about the availability of classes at the cc, just awful! Unfortunately, ds has a bit of a wait before he will be able to move on but its good to know and understand what he will need when he does.

Thanks again!