Menu

Spelling, Vocab, Latin, AUGH! I'm confused

OK, I'm seriously confused and I know I'm probably doing this to myself, but I need some help to figure this all out.

My oldest will be in 6th grade.

We've been using Building Spelling Skills because I really like the vocabulary element they add. We have been doing it as a "Spelling" program, but I don't think we need spelling next year. I re-read TWTM 3rd edition and if you're done with Spelling Workout F, you dump Spelling and move to Vocabulary. BUT, the vocabulary programs seem to either cover Latin (which we're going to start), or are busy work.

Should I:

1. Have her work through BSS 7 and 8 as workbooks and give her random vocab quizzes, while doing Latin?

2. Dump BSS all together and pick one of the vocab programs while doing Latin?

3. Just do Latin?

4. Other?

5. Run around the yard during the next full moon throwing language arts choices around and see which one floats the longest and go with that one?

Feel free to point out the obvious, because it seems to be evading me.:banghead:

Dorinda

Hey Dorinda!

Well...FWIW we don't plan to do formal vocabulary studies! You read aloud to your children, you stop and discuss the meanings of words you don't know when you get to them, voila! Vocab studies across the curric ;). Latin will help with Latin roots and derivatives as well, it is AWESOME for that!

We're just doing natural read alouds vocab and Latin. I can't say anything about BSS though, never used it :).

5. Run around the yard during the next full moon throwing language arts choices around and see which one floats the longest and go with that one?

:lol::lol: I think I might try it just in case it works. I always have a hard time making decisions, maybe I was just missing this step:tongue_smilie:

1. Have her work through BSS 7 and 8 as workbooks and give her random vocab quizzes, while doing Latin?

This also sounds good especially if you both like this program and she has been doing well with it.

ETA: I just went and looked at level 7 and 8 and they look really good. (Thanks, now I think I want to use these!)

Edited by kidsnbooks8

We ditched spelling here even before we finished Spelling Workout F, in favor of Vocab. I chose Vocabulary from Classical Roots, and it was dry as toast. We all disliked it, even though I liked the *idea* of it. So we ditched that too. We're doing Latin and are learning great new vocab words every week, thanks to the derivatives. That, with reading, gives us plenty of new words to learn all the time. Plus knowing the derivatives helps us remember the Latin. It's a win-win.

Good luck in your choice!

:lol::lol: I think I might try it just in case it works. I always have a hard time making decisions, maybe I was just missing this step:tongue_smilie:

This also sounds good especially if you both like this program and she has been doing well with it.

ETA: I just went and looked at level 7 and 8 and they look really good. (Thanks, now I think I want to use these!)

:lol:

You're welcome!

It really is a good program. I think I'm going to nix Vocab. Jennifer's right (thanks Jennifer:D), we read, we discuss words, and we're going to do Latin. I'm determined to do Latin. . .I WILL do Latin.:scared:

Dorinda