Menu

What is absolutely essential computer knowledge your highschooler should know?

What sources are you using? Please give me curriculum or online suggestions. I guess this would be called computer science or intro to computers. I need to know of a put together class or a list of computer programs he needs. Thanks for your help

Do you mean for someone who wants to be a computer science major or software engineer? Or do you mean PC user skills (using Microsoft Office or the freebie equivalent, OpenOffice; navigating the Internet, etc.)?

If you are looking for the later, you could try this site:

http://www.gcflearnfree.org/computer/

They have free online or printable tutorials, or you can register for a free 3 week class for each available topic.

Maura

but I think that in today's tech-savy world, all kids finishing high school should be comfortable with the basic Microsoft stuff like word, excel, and power point.

If your child has an additional interest, they might take some classes in web page design or computer programming. The Potter's School offers some on-line courses, and I'm sure there are others, too.

Best wishes,

Brenda