Menu

Abeka LA? Queen LA? Something else? Help!

Mrs. Lilac

I was all set to do Abeka language arts for next year until I realized for that ONE subject I'd be looking at $200! OUCH! Also, I'm going to have a kindergartner, and they don't have a stand alone LA for K.

I started looking at Queen's LA....I think it looks promising, but most reviews and threads I've read say it's not enough content. Would it be okay for my K'er but not my 4th grade level girl? I'm not sure where else to go....we did FLL in K, which was good, and BJU in 2nd and 3rd, which again was fine, but just too classroom-y for me. Do I try Queen? Do I try the consumable FLL that they have now for the older kids?

Would love thoughts on this!

P.S.- I realized my post is a little confusing...she's in 2nd grade but just finished 3rd grade LA. So next year she will be in 3rd grade, doing 4th grade LA. Clear as mud? :)

You could try Primary Language Lessons (usually for 2nd-3rd grade) or Intermediate Language Lessons (4th-6th) by various authors (Serl, Maxwell, Sheldon). They are sort of similar to Queen's but more meaty and some are even free on Google Books, you just print them. I like to recommend Galore Park's Junior English because it's inexpensive and thorough, as well.

If you go with FLL, you will also need something for spelling, unless she's an amazing speller, and something for composition. A lot of folks like WWE for writing. You would also need to consider what to have her read for literature.

I guess my first question would be what KIND of LA program you're looking for? If you like A Beka, are you looking for something similar but cheaper? In that case Rod and Staff or Bob Jones might work for you. If you like Queens, are you looking for the Charlotte Mason approach but with a little more meat? PLL and ILL are good, but a good blend is First Language Lessons by SWB. I haven't used FLL beyond year 2, but there are samples online.

Let us know what you're looking for and that will help with more detailed suggestions.

Blessings!

Dorinda

We've done BJU, and it's just a little too dry/school-y for me....so definitely I think something more Charlotte Mason. I love the look of Queen, but am concerned about if there's enough meat....so maybe I do want more like PLL/ILL/FLL? The consumable aspect of FLL and Queen is kind of appealing to me...

I was going to suggest Rod and Staff but I see that someone already did. I have never used it before.....looks kind of boring, really........but I see it recommended on here so often that I am going to switch to it next year. We have done Abeka all our lives, so it will be new for us.

We switched to Rod & Staff from Abeka and have stayed with it for 4 years. Yes, it can be a little a dry, but it is a solid program. Grammar and writing are both covered. We haven't had to supplement at all. The books are non-consumable, making them a great investment for mutiple children.