Menu

TT Math...too much review??

Hi all,

My 10 y/o ds (4th gr) is using TT5, we switched mid-year and skipped some lessons as he already knew the material.

My problem? I've been looking at TT6 for next year and it looks like half of the book is review. I feel like I'd buy it and skip half the book to get to the stuff he's never done, but that would be wasting money and it's a spendy program:glare:. Looks like we did this by buying TT5 as well...hmmm.

On the *plus* side, I like it b/c it's helps my ds be a lot more independent with his math. Sometimes I have a hard time teaching math to him b/c I have a hard time explaining it. TT does that for me:001_smile:.

So, those of you in the upper levels...Is it worth it to stick with the program? Or should I find something else for next year and if so, what???

Thanks so much!

Edited by mama2cntrykids

Well, we're only where you are- using TT5 now and looking at getting TT6 for next year. TT does have a lot of review but I don't know that I'd call it "too much."

Each lesson, it introduces something different.. and then does review of older material. It's always adding something else on, but always going over older stuff to keep them refreshed and in practice and really understanding those concepts.

I guess if it had like 100 problems per lesson like Saxon I'd get fed up with it haha... but TT only does like 22-24 problems per lesson...

...I don't know, it's working great for us. She's really getting it, really understanding it, really remembering it, really liking it, really building confidence with it, and, as I said in my recent post about our standardized test scores, she did really well with the math portion of her testing this year.

Plus like you said she can be independent with it which is GREAT for me, because 1) it frees me up to do other things and 2) I hate math anyway heh.

So I'm going to just keep going with TT, it's definitely worth every penny for us!

Well, we're only where you are- using TT5 now and looking at getting TT6 for next year. TT does have a lot of review but I don't know that I'd call it "too much."

Each lesson, it introduces something different.. and then does review of older material. It's always adding something else on, but always going over older stuff to keep them refreshed and in practice and really understanding those concepts.

I guess if it had like 100 problems per lesson like Saxon I'd get fed up with it haha... but TT only does like 22-24 problems per lesson...

...I don't know, it's working great for us. She's really getting it, really understanding it, really remembering it, really liking it, really building confidence with it, and, as I said in my recent post about our standardized test scores, she did really well with the math portion of her testing this year.

Plus like you said she can be independent with it which is GREAT for me, because 1) it frees me up to do other things and 2) I hate math anyway heh.

So I'm going to just keep going with TT, it's definitely worth every penny for us!

I think I mis-spoke, I meant the overlap from book to book. Hope that makes more sense:001_smile:.

This is elementary math, therefore, there is going to be overlap from book to book in any program. You want a solid foundation, even it it does seem tedious at times. I'm not familiar with TT at those levels, but for PreAlgebra and up it definitely IS worth it.

If he is math gifted and wants more, you might want to look into supplementing with something like MEP (not independent though) or Math Mammoth (which also repeats a lot from year to year in those levels...).

I knew what you meant, I just figured that the overlap from book to book would be the same as the overlap from chapter to chapter within each book- it's going to keep going over past material, but not in an overkill do a million problems kind of way, and it's going to keep introducing new stuff, and the kids are going to end up knowing what they need to know in the end, all while having had a great foundation and lots of confidence and so on. :)