Menu

Usborne History Books? Ancient vs World History Encylopedia

SnMomof7

The Usborne Internet-Linked Encyclopedia of World History is just over 400 pages beginning with the Prehistoric World and ending with the end of the 20th century.

The Usborne Internet-Linked Encyclopedia of the Ancient World is nearly 400 pages beginning with early civilizations and ending with the fall of Rome.

I'm sure there is some duplication, but the Ancient History one contains a lot more info on the ancients. At least some of the individual sections (Prehistoric World, Ancient World, Medieval World, and The Last 500 Years) of the world history one are also available as a separate books of about 100 pages each.

Do these two titles duplicate each other? Or are they separate content?

As Marie so wonderfully pointed out, some of the Usborne titles overlap, so I was wondering!

And what do you know... we own both :D! When I ordered them I only had access to online preview pages for comparison, so I made sure they were not the same. They have almost the same number of pages. The Ancient History goes more in-depth in the history of the Ancient World. That said, we have not used it as much as the World History book at this level. I am saving it to use more when we are in our second cycle.

A few clarifications because I just noticed that there are two Ancient World books. I am referring to this Ancient World book:

http://rainbowresource.com/product/sku/035055/1301874971-645759

If you are referring to this one:

http://rainbowresource.com/product/sku/030666/1301874971-645759

then yes, once again it appears to be a section of the World History Encyclopedia. It is actually one quarter of it and then the Medieval World book is another quarter of the World History book. Great savings just getting the one book in this case :D. The only thing that you do get that some may like is that the ones that are part of the World History are slightly larger and therefore have a slightly larger font.

World History 7 1/2" X 9 1/2"

Medieval World (since I still have this one from the library) 8 1/2" X 11"

We are happy with the size of the World History book for the price ;).

I have both books. Both are about 400 pages.

I have the paperback Internet Linked Encyclopedia of the Ancient World (~400 pages). It basically covers Egypt, Rome, and Greece, with a shortish chapter on Mesopotamia.

I have the hardcover Internet Linked Encyclopedia of World History. It is about 400 pages. Ancient History takes up about the first 197 pages, and includes many additional cultures, including north and south America, the Celts, China, India, central Europe (the "Barbarians"), and Africa.

So, it depends on what you want to cover in ancient history-- the Ancient History encyclopedia is far more complete when it comes to the three cultures that it covers (plus a nod to Mesopotamia); however, if you want to cover more than western civilization and actually study WORLD history, you need the World History encyclopedia instead, understanding that it won't go into as much depth (but depending on your additional reading, this might not be too important). There are great books at the library that do a nice job filling in the gaps ("If I were a Kid in Ancient Rome" "If I Were a Kid in Ancient Greece" have been very popular in our house).

Hope that helps!

Jen