Menu

Tell me NOT to change what is working!!!

Halcyon

We have been following a self-designed course for science based on the Core Knowledge curriculum guidelines. We get books out of the library, we do some narrations, we do an experiment or two every Friday. We sketch pictures, talk, and read some more. It works for us because it's broad (as opposed to the WTM recs which have the student focus on one topic for an entire year) and inclusive, and allows us to read lots of books. I am happy, the boys are happy.

But.

A few years ago we used K12 science and we loved it. It was easy and fun and did I mention easy to implement? :tongue_smilie: No fuss no muss. I've been eyeing the Grade 4 course for my older....I think we could swing it price-wise.

Tell me to stay the course with Core Knowledge. Or not. :D

I think after the freedom of your CK plan, following K12 will seem constricting. I've also heard that 4th grade science is not as good as younger grades. I suppose you could pay monthly and give it a try. Every time I've tried to use a strictly scheduled program I have quit it. I need flexibility in scheduling and the ability to change course if needed.

Stay the course. You said you and the boys are happy. What more could you ask for? :D

Do you take a week off at times to plan the next chunk of school weeks? If so, set up a plan for your science as you've been doing it, so that it will be easy to implement. You'll already know what library books are available (that you can put on hold from the comfort of your home and just pick it up on library day), you'll know what supplies you need for experiments, etc. Pre-plan so that you have your "boxed curriculum" that's really your own that is totally tailored to you and your kids.

That's what I did with our science, and it is going really well. It gets done easily, but it's based on our interests, not what some curriculum says we should do. I'm kind of going this route with history too, except I'm following SOTW and the AG, but I'm making plans - printing out a schedule, books list (based on what my library has), fancy narration pages, maps, activities, etc. It will be just as easy to implement as any other history program, but it's based on what we want to do and what my library has. And I'm finding that I actually enjoy the planning, so why would I want a boxed curriculum that says I have to do xyz at such and such time? :lol:

The grass is rarely greener on the other side. I know I have been there and done that at least 4 times now :)

If you would like to add some more science to your lives you could try homeschool science adventures. Everything is included and it structured for multiple ages. Many different kits to choose from.

Thanks! We've used Young Scientist Kits and loved them; off to check these out!

Another CK homeschooler here. I know that K12 is aligned pretty closely to the CK Sequence, but I found much of their offerings to be pretty light. I had to do a substantial bit of supplementing, and since I was an independent K12 subscriber, I was pretty annoyed to be paying so much for relatively little. I don't mind putting together programs, particularly for science. I also vote to stay the course. Your science program sounds fun and manageable. No need to change!

If you are following CK sequence of science topics, you might want to take a look at the pdf samples of the teacher manuals for Delta Science Modules and FOSS. The sequence of topics and experiments within the unit of study are sooo well-done. Really, these units, along with the GEMS handbooks, are some of the best inquiry-driven science units I've seen. They are forming the core of much of what I am planning with my rising 2nd grader. They are a great source of inspiration.