Menu

Probably a repetitive AAS ?

carrie_irene

I am sure this has been asked, but I am gearing up to hopefully start AAS with my DS5 and DD4 (almost 6 and 5). My DS is reading really well, but I don't want to skip Level 1. DD is also reading fairly well. While they know all the basic sounds the letters make, they may not be able to rattle of all three sounds that /a/ makes, for example. Can we move on the Step 2 before they are all totally mastered, or do we wait? I know that the cards get moved into the review pile, but I don't want to teach ALL the sounds ALL the vowels make the first day...that be confusing. But do we linger on Step 1?? :confused:

OK...did I ramble enough to confuse everybody now? :001_huh:

Carrie,

You will be surprised how quickly they learn all of the sounds. Most of the letters only have one sound, so they probably know most of them.

I would linger for a bit. I taught all the sounds to my 4 children ( ages 4,4,6,7) I downloaded the cd on my laptop and let them practice. They would push the button and repeat. Then after they thought they had it, I let them say the sounds THEN click to see if they were correct. I think it took them a week or so to learn them all. Because you will be reviewing so many different things as the program progresses, it will be nice that they already know all of those phonograms. Be sure to teach all of the vowel sounds when you go through them.

I hope I am making sense.

I moved onto step 2 before mastering ALL the sounds (he had most of them, but just needed extra instruction on the vowels with more than 2 sounds, since he'd only learned the short and long sounds). We had no problem. We kept going over the tricky ones everyday until they were mastered, but we still moved on in the program while doing that. The weird sounds that they don't know aren't used in level 1 anyway. I haven't even hit them in level 2. So if the child knows the short and long sounds, I'd move on, and just keep those in your review section and review them every day.

And yes, my kids remember them way better than I do. :lol:

I agree with a previous poster. I would move on and just continue to review them every day. They will get them QUICKLY!

Unless it poses a problem for them to begin spelling using the proper sounds, I don't see any reason to linger any extra...just review...review...review! :D