Menu

Quick Question: Logic and HS credit

My older son was in public school for grades 6 & 7, so we didn't do logic with him thru most of middle school. For 8th grade, he & my 5th grade DS are working their way through some Critical Thinking books. For 9th grade, I'm doing Traditional Logic 1 & 2 with my older son, completing it in one year. (I think my younger son will not be ready for Traditional Logic in 6th grade, and certainly won't be able to complete it in 1 year. So, we'll wait until he's in 7th or 8th grade to start it, possibly taking 2 years to complete it.)

When my older DS is in 10th grade, I might do Material Logic with him. Then (either after that or instead of that), he'll do Rhetoric. My younger son will follow in the same course progression.

So most of our logic will be done in high school, and I think that's just fine.

Three of my six children (one of whom is in middle grades now and will begin logic next year in 7th) will have done/do logic before high school. The other three obviously were not ready before 9th grade. I think it comes down to when the individual student is ready for formal logic.