Menu

lbw/vlbw preemies & when to start school

I have a 4 1/2 year old, going to be 5 this summer. She was born July '06 at 24 weeks, so very, very early. She SHOULD have been born November '06. :tongue_smilie:

She is very emotionally/socially immature but right on pace intellectually from what we can tell. She's trying to teach herself how to read and can actually write pretty well.

We just moved to GA, the cutoff here is September 1st. So she nicely straddles that. :glare:

Anyone else been in my shoes? What did you end up doing? How did it play out long term?

My dd was born at 26 weeks, weighed under 2 pounds at birth, and was failure to thrive, and all that. She was 4 last Sunday. I plan on holding her out another year. Intellectually I am told she is ok, but she does have some physical delays and has difficulty keeping up with kids due to low muscle tone. She is currently in PT and OT. Not to mention she is also still smallish for her size. Considering how popular it is in my area to keep many kids back a year, I want her to have the best advantage - which we feel is another year to grow physically stronger and in size rather than being the smallest and slowest.

I have a 4 1/2 year old, going to be 5 this summer. She was born July '06 at 24 weeks, so very, very early. She SHOULD have been born November '06. :tongue_smilie:

She is very emotionally/socially immature but right on pace intellectually from what we can tell. She's trying to teach herself how to read and can actually write pretty well.

We just moved to GA, the cutoff here is September 1st. So she nicely straddles that. :glare:

Anyone else been in my shoes? What did you end up doing? How did it play out long term?

Are you planning on homeschooling? We started homeschooling the Sept after my child turned 5, but I waited to fill out the reports until he was at the mandatory age for our state.

Are you planning on homeschooling? We started homeschooling the Sept after my child turned 5, but I waited to fill out the reports until he was at the mandatory age for our state.

That is what we are doing because I do intend on homeschooling. Since we are required by law to either sign them up or waive Kindergarten, I plan on a waiver and then file intent to homeschool the next year. I really wish I had done this with my son.

that's our biggest problem, we're very on the line with our long term plans. I'm totally OK with keeping her home this fall. I don't really want to homeschool long term (past mid-elementary, probably), but I also don't want to make her repeat a grade if we do put her in school in early elementary.

Mandatory age here is 6. I'm considering starting kindergarten with her this fall but doing it slowly. If we don't get all the way through, I could register when she's 6 and just say she's a kindergartner...

that's our biggest problem, we're very on the line with our long term plans. I'm totally OK with keeping her home this fall. I don't really want to homeschool long term (past mid-elementary, probably), but I also don't want to make her repeat a grade if we do put her in school in early elementary.

Mandatory age here is 6. I'm considering starting kindergarten with her this fall but doing it slowly. If we don't get all the way through, I could register when she's 6 and just say she's a kindergartner...

Trying a slow and gentle approach to homeschool kindergarten sounds like a good plan--especially if you question if she's ready for formal school work or not. That allows you to decide next year (2012) if she's ready for first grade or kindergarten based on how she does the 2011-2012 school year.

I'll share a bit of my own experience. I had doubts about kindergarten readiness a variety of reasons for one child of mine, (who happened to be a premie.) His due date close to the cut-off date, but I had other concerns too. We were already a homeschooling family, so we went ahead and tried some formal school work, calling it "kindergarten" the fall after he turned five. It turned out that child had problems learning to read--and his dyslexia would not have been "solved" by holding him back a year. Homeschooling turns out to been great for him--because his abilities differ dramatically, depending on the subject.

If you are the least bit inclined to trying homeschooling, then trying it for kindergarten sounds like a good plan. You can decide what to do in future for her schooling as life unfolds.:)