Menu

Simply Music? PP in a Flash? More ?s teaching piano to youngers...but I do play.

OK, so I "taught" my older teens to play the piano, starting maybe around age 6. But really I say they are more self-taught and that I just facilitated, really. I did some formal teaching earlier on, but they took over and went with it. We used some Alfred books early on, something else (can't remember!), then transitioned to several levels of the Royal Conservatory piano books (live in the US, but a friend showed me those and I really liked them). I would like to use the RC materials again with my younger set at some point, but for the early period... what to do?!

Now I have a 6yo (and youngers coming up) and I can't figure out what to do! I took lessons for 6 years myself and can play pretty much what I want -- mostly from the church hymnbook nowadays, but I used to play more classical and such -- but my music theory is terribly weak and I can play what I do because I read music. That's it. One of my teens plays beautifully by ear; obviously a gift, because I sure didn't cultivate that. :(

I see things like Simply Music and Play Piano in a Flash (Scott Houston) and wonder if I shouldn't do something like that with my younger set as they get to be 5-7yo. Has anyone used either of these? Comments? Not sure how it would go for ME, coming from a more traditional piano background.

Or do I go with a more traditional piano track for them? And if so, any recommendations? I really like the Royal Conservatory materials, at least for down the road, but I was so wishy-washy with my first set until we found the RC books later on.

I just want to start something, love it, and stick with it. Is that too much to ask?! lol

My 1st grader started Simply Music in September. The program starts with playing songs based on patterns, then learning chords and rhythms. It builds gradually, and before you know it, the kid (or adult) is paying all kinds of cool stuff. We have really enjoyed it! It gradually introduces theory and sight reading, but starts with lots of playing to build enjoyment. I think it's a great program, but it's definitely not "traditional."

I took 5 years of lessons and didn't like it, way back in the day, using the traditional method (by that I mean, learn notes, timing, technical stuff, then move to more fun stuff). I can play by ear, and SM makes sense to me in that respect. My dd has an ear for music and is doing well in SM, but I know it also works for people who don't play by ear.

We are taking it from an instructor, which is a little spendy, but I think you can buy the dvds and books and do it yourself. THe guy teaches the patterns on the dvd. Sorry to sound like an infomercial, but we really love it.

Kid can play several SM original songs, which are sweet little songs, part of Fur Elise, Ode to Joy, accompaniment to Old Lang Syne and Amazing Grace, songs with a blues rhythm, and she's starting to learn how to compose her own stuff. Sounds intimidating, but it really is step by step. She's been at it for only 7 months.

Hope this helps.

Joann

Edited by JoMama