Menu

Differences between Apologia Bio editions

Elaine,

There are some differences. The primary difference is that diagrams and pictures are much better (more professional; more detailed) in the newer edition. And while that may seem incidental, the diagrams are integral to the content and explain the concepts. For example, the life cycle of a mushroom, cell mitosis/meiosis, DNA, the KREBs cycle, anatomy of several animals and so much more are explained in detailed diagrams.

It's been several years since I've seen the first edition. I did have one student use the older edition in a biology class that I put together and he was able to follow the class with few problems; he did end up borrowing a book to study many of the diagrams.

You can probably find a first edition dirt cheap, but there should also be plenty of newer editions on the used market. Also, keep in mind that you will be using it with several kids and the resale will be much higher if you buy the newer edition.

HTH,

Lisa

Edited by FloridaLisa

Elaine,

There are some differences. The primary difference is that diagrams and pictures are much better (more professional; more detailed) in the newer edition. And while that may seem incidental, the diagrams are integral to the content and explain the concepts. For example, the life cycle of a mushroom, cell mitosis/myosis, DNA, the KREBs cycle, anatomy of several animals and so much more are explained in detailed diagrams.

It's been several years since I've seen the first edition. I did have one student use the older edition in a biology class that I put together and he was able to follow the class with few problems; he did end up borrowing a book to study many of the diagrams.

You can probably find a first edition dirt cheap, but there should also be plenty of newer editions on the used market. Also, keep in mind that you will be using it with several kids and the resale will be much higher if you buy the newer edition.

HTH,

Lisa

Thank-you, Lisa. This was a very helpful response!:001_smile: