Menu

Question for homeschoolers in Alabama

A friend is thinking about homeschooling her son next year. He is SN (Aspberger's maybe?) middle school age and they live in Birmingham. She said she was reading up on state law and it looks like she can only homeschool if she goes through an umbrella school. Is this correct? Also, do they have anything like Florida Virtual School (state sponsored, they send you the curricula, you just do it at home)?

:bigear:

A friend is thinking about homeschooling her son next year. He is SN (Aspberger's maybe?) middle school age and they live in Birmingham. She said she was reading up on state law and it looks like she can only homeschool if she goes through an umbrella school. Is this correct? Also, do they have anything like Florida Virtual School (state sponsored, they send you the curricula, you just do it at home)?

:bigear:

Yes, she would have to go through an umbrella school. There are many of them here. And no, Alabama has nothing like public school at home. No virtual schools are anything like that.

Here's a link with some info about the laws in Alabama. There is a link on that site to a list of Cover Schools as well. It's really not hard at all to homeschool here. I'm close to Birmingham as well. You might want to suggest that she check out another forum, alabama-moms.com. There is info there about homeschooling as well. :)

To homeschool here you have to go through a cover school, which to get around Alabama laws have to be under a church. There are some very basic cover schools that are under the direction of their own "church" but have no faith requirements etc.

To homeschool here you have to go through a cover school, which to get around Alabama laws have to be under a church. There are some very basic cover schools that are under the direction of their own "church" but have no faith requirements etc.

Any specific suggestions?

I emailed her the list from CHEF and the other site from pp (thanks!) but I think she is overwhelmed right now. It would be good if I could narrow it down for her.