Menu

Singapore CWP ?

Can someone please explain this problem to me? Be gentle.

Matthew has 9 stamps. Joseph has 4 times more stamps than Matthew. How many stamps do they have altogether?

I assumed that all you had to do was multiply 9 * 4 = 36 and then 36 + 9=45.

My dh got 54 as an answer and he was correct. He told me how to do it but I can't understand why.

4 * 9 = 36

36 + 9 = 45 (Joseph)

45 (Joseph) + 9 (Matthew) = 54 (total amount together)

Why do you have to add the 9 to get Joseph's amount?

Also, if the question had been worded "4 times as many" would the answer still be 54?

If I have 4 times as many dogs as my neighbor, don't I just have 4 * x dogs?

Feeling like a math loser since I can't do a level 2 CWP :crying:

Also, if the question had been worded "4 times as many" would the answer still be 54?

If I have 4 times as many dogs as my neighbor, don't I just have 4 * x dogs?

If it said "4 times as many", then your answer would have been correct. Since it said "4 times MORE", then you are adding. So Matthew has 9 stamps, Joseph has "36 more" stamps than Matthew. Therefore, Joseph has 45 stamps, and thus altogether they have 54 stamps. If it had said "Joseph has 4 times AS MANY stamps AS Matthew", then Joseph would have had 36 stamps, and altogether they would have had 45 stamps.

Hopefully that makes sense. It's the "more" that makes you add the extra 9 in there. :)

The key here is that Joseph doesn't have 4 times as many stamps as Matthew (like in your dog example); it's that J has 4 times more stamps than Matthew.

With a poorly drawn bar model.... :)

M = [9 ]

J = [M][M][M][M][M]

The difference b/t M and J is 4M (4 times more stamps).

I think that the difference is in the wording 4x more (vs. 4x as many). 4x more means that the difference between the two numbers is 4x the first number. If I use j to represent Joseph's stamps, I could write:

j - (how many more Joseph has) = 9;

j - 4*9 = 9

j = 9+4*9

j = 54

Not sure if that helps ...

ETA: The explanation above is better! :-)

Thank you all. I was wondering if the more made the difference but I didn't remember that from school. No wonder I was always so bad with word problems :001_smile:

Kelly

I'll bet you get good at word problems working through Singapore with your child! :D