Menu

Please help me remember the title: reading instruction book

Tohru

A long time ago I ran across the greatest remedial reading instruction book. The cover was royal blue and I think the title was white or yellow. It was also an odd shaped book: landscape printed, perhaps 8" x 14".

The quarter of the book was about reading and instruction and the rest was picto-graph images of spelling rules, along with reading lists for each rule.

The rules were really easy and cute:

A few I can remember for the silent E...

English words never end with the letter V

One of the jobs of the letter E is to help the L from falling over at the end of a word.

The E kicks the vowel to make it say it's name (complete with a picture of the E hoping over the consonant to kick the vowel)

Please help! I can't seem to figure out the title and I've been Googling for hours.

Thanks so much!

A long time ago I ran across the greatest remedial reading instruction book. The cover was royal blue and I think the title was white or yellow. It was also an odd shaped book: landscape printed, perhaps 8" x 14".

The quarter of the book was about reading and instruction and the rest was picto-graph images of spelling rules, along with reading lists for each rule.

The rules were really easy and cute:

A few I can remember for the silent E...

English words never end with the letter V

One of the jobs of the letter E is to help the L from falling over at the end of a word.

The E kicks the vowel to make it say it's name (complete with a picture of the E hoping over the consonant to kick the vowel)

Please help! I can't seem to figure out the title and I've been Googling for hours.

Thanks so much!

I don't know, and I have a lot of phonics books! I'll ask Don Potter.

I tell my students the same think about the e as the l, the e after the v is to keep the v from falling over. (Someone else thought it up, but my younger students enjoy it, and my older ones with a quirky sense or humor.)

Just played around with some of your description terms since the book sounded interesting. Is this the one you're looking for? It seems to fit your description. There is a classic version and a newer one. You can check out the links to the right and it gives examples of the letters in their pictograph form. It certainly looks cute enough.

http://www.letterlandcanada.com/about/research

Hope you find what you're looking for!