Menu

Apologia Exploring Creation with Human Anatomy & Physiology for *high school*?

I know this is the "elementary" Apologia course, and that there is also Apologia Human Body: Fearfully and Wonderfully Made (sometimes referred to as "Advanced Biology") that is a high school course. I'm just wondering if the former could be considered a "light" high school course without much "beefing up", particularly if you have a student who is not a good reader.

I know this is the "elementary" Apologia course, and that there is also Apologia Human Body: Fearfully and Wonderfully Made (sometimes referred to as "Advanced Biology") that is a high school course. I'm just wondering if the former could be considered a "light" high school course without a whole lot of "beefing up" (particularly if you have a student who is not a good reader).

I'm kind of surprised.

Okay, I haven't used it but I've "read" it myself. (I will use it with my grandson someday). I wouldn't use it as a high school course without seriously beefing it up. Maybe using lyrical life science with it? maybe something the the PAC science would be better for child who wasn't a reader. Or if you go with the high school apologia courses, they all have MP3's available to read it to you.

Sandra

I think it would be appropriate for a health course for 1/2 credit for high school. You could just add a CPR/first aid day course at your local red cross and maybe a drugs/alcohol unit and it would be great. This is the hardest elementary one they have...much, much harder than the others. My poor 3rd grader has struggled mightly with it. It has tons and tons of medical terms: all the bones of the body for example. They need to reclassify it as 5th - 7th grade level in my opinion. I have skimmed my Total Health book for high school health for next year and I thought, "Wow, a lot of this was in my daughter's science for this year. So for health, it is fine. I don't think you could give it a science credit without some serious beefing up.

Christine

I think it would be appropriate for a health course for 1/2 credit for high school. You could just add a CPR/first aid day course at your local red cross and maybe a drugs/alcohol unit and it would be great. . I don't think you could give it a science credit without some serious beefing up.

Christine

:iagree: Good idea!

Thanks for sharing this...I was going to use this for my 6th, 3rd & 1st graders next year. Maybe I'll rethink this plan.

Definitely. Do astronomy. You can beef it up for your 6th grader.

This is chapter 2 on bones. Not only does it talk about how the bones protect you but how they make blood. It talks about calcium, malnutricion. Then it gets into bone anotomy with compact bone, spongy bone aand periosteum as well as talking about collagen. Next it discusses red and yellow bone marow and what they do. Then it talks about osteoblasts, osteoclasts and how bones grow and cartilage and how thye heal when they break. Tons of things to draw. Then it has a model and has a lot of the bones labeled... 25 to 30 of them: fibula, talus, phalanges, etc. Then it goes to the skull and sutures in the skull, then into the facial bones, then it talks about all the different kind of vertebra: cervial, lumbar and thoracic. Next we go to ribs with costal cartilage, floating ribs, pectoral girdle, scapulae, clavicles. Then it goes into the arm and all the bones there and finally the leg. Then it goes into all the different kind of bones...

Whew!!! A lot for an 8 year old.. but reasonable for a good junior high course. We went to my hubby's office for a field trip. He showed them all sorts of x-rays and also models of joints and put a cast on. He successfully put it all in child language. The kids had a blast.

Anyway, this book is much, much harder!!

Christine

I agree it would be good for a part of health, or possibly part of biology if you are using something that doesn't include enough anatomy (I'm thinking Apologia or Biology 101 or other make-your-own courses). Not a whole credit, especially not an 11-12th grade course, but might be good as a part?

Julie

• 3 weeks later...

I am planning on using this for a .5 credit course taken alongside Apologia Biology. I plan on beefing it up with writing assignments, lab reports, quizzes and tests, and a research paper. I am also considering adding this workbook and this workbook. I think all of that combined can reasonably be considered a .5 credit high school course in Anatomy and Physiology.

I am planning on using this for a .5 credit course taken alongside Apologia Biology. I plan on beefing it up with writing assignments, lab reports, quizzes and tests, and a research paper. I am also considering adding this workbook and this workbook. I think all of that combined can reasonably be considered a .5 credit high school course in Anatomy and Physiology.

Hubs has a BS in Kinesiology. He suggests perhaps to include more dissections along with these. You really want the student to understand muscles, major organs, circulatory system, neurological system, etc. Virtual dissections would help too.

We just recently did our AHA First Aid and CPR courses and loved the fact it covered a lot of biology for the human body. And it met our requirements for half credit in health. To cover health, we covered dating, STDs, drug and alcohol abuse, safety, nutrition & exercise, and what to do in an emergency. HTH

Hubs has a BS in Kinesiology. He suggests perhaps to include more dissections along with these. You really want the student to understand muscles, major organs, circulatory system, neurological system, etc. Virtual dissections would help too.

We just recently did our AHA First Aid and CPR courses and loved the fact it covered a lot of biology for the human body. And it met our requirements for half credit in health. To cover health, we covered dating, STDs, drug and alcohol abuse, safety, nutrition & exercise, and what to do in an emergency. HTH

Thank you- I was just looking into the dissection kit that the Apologia Human Body curriculum suggests.

DS is almost finished with his high school health credit. He is doing the .5 Abeka health course.