Menu

X-post: Galore Park questions

As our homeschool continues to evolve, I am VERY pleased with how the Galore Park books are working for us. We are really enjoying devoting the majority of our day to Latin and Greek but getting the basics done well but rather painlessly with GP. The progression in skills through the books has worked well and the amount of info packed into the short chapters has been perfect.

Are there any other programs that are similar to cover subjects not offered by Galore Park such as American history, fine arts and geography (at the lower level)?

Also, I know in England the school subject material is detrmined by the state. I see many study materials coming out now through Galore Park. But where could I get a list of the texts used? I've tried internet searches but I don't have enough information to search effectively. Could anyone point me in the right direction? I feel like the texts used in the US are too watered down, too PC, too bulky with "extra stuff" and not to-the-point information, and there is no progression of skills. I am wondering if the upper level texts used in Europe are different? Or are they similar to what is available for high schoolers here?

Thanks!

There is a national curriculum, but only for government ('state') schools. The GP books are used in private schools, which do not have to follow the national curriculum.

There will be many different curricula used in state schools, as different publishers will publish books to fulfil the government criteria. Searches on Amazon.co.uk for KS1 maths, English..... (for age 5-7), KS2 (for age 7-11), KS3 (for age 11 - 14), GCSE (for age 14-16), AS level (for age 16-17) and A2 level (for age 17-18) should come up with a bunch of texts. Private school pupils will also be using GCSE, AS and A2 level text books, as they lead to university entrance exams. FWIW, this is the system for England/Wales. I don't want to complicate matters by going into the Scottish and Northern Irish systems....

FWIW, the GP books seem much more straightforward than the GCSE textbooks that Calvin is now using in school. The latter seem somewhat slight and have lots of sidebars and quick facts. The history text book, in particular, seems seriously lacking in depth.

Best wishes

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

Thanks Laura! I think it is simply the Galore Park publishers that I really like. I'm going back to my older plan of moving right from Galore Park into the Teaching Company DVDs in our content subjects. And I'll just keep an eye out for new products from GP. I just ordered the English Year 9 books and am looking forward to using them this year. Hopefully more books for older kids will be out soon as well. :)