Menu

If you had to choose either spelling or vocab...

DarlaS

I started my dd (10) in Vocabulary from Classical Roots and Megawords this year, and am considering dropping one to simplify our LA a bit. I'm leaning toward keeping the Megawords since she could still use a little work in spelling. (She is also interested in studying Latin.)

What does the hive think?

I started my dd (10) in Vocabulary from Classical Roots and Megawords this year, and am considering dropping one to simplify our LA a bit. I'm leaning toward keeping the Megawords since she could still use a little work in spelling. (She is also interested in studying Latin.)

What does the hive think?

It depends on the child. My older two were naturally good spellers, and never needed anything more than dictation (and that only sporadically after 2nd/3rd grade) for spelling. My youngest is much the same. For any of them, I would definitely choose/ would have chosen vocabulary, especially a Latin/Greek roots based program.

My 3rd child is mildly dyslexic, and struggles greatly with spelling, though she is improving. She also picks up new words easily through read alouds and reading. (She needs help learning to pronounce words she learns from reading, though, since she often gets the sounds in the wrong order and/or adds/omits letters.) Although she loves Caesar's English and has learned a lot from it, I have actually moved it to just once in a while to save time. I focus on spelling over vocabulary for her.

You ladies are confirming what I've been feeling. :001_smile:

I'm going to drop the VFCR for both her and her older brother. I do like it, and it doesn't take long, but it's just not necessary for these kids.

Something's got to go if we add Latin--and I really want to add Latin.

She is at or above average for spelling also, but does have to put a little effort in.

If you're going to add Latin, I'd drop the extra vocabulary. We put a fairly strong emphasis on the derivatives as we discover them through Latin, a separate vocabulary course became overkill.

Does LFC have a strong emphasis on the derivatives? If not, which Latin program has this?

Does LFC have a strong emphasis on the derivatives? If not, which Latin program has this?

That's a good question, and one I hadn't thought to ask. I may just start a new thread about it...

ETA: here is an interesting article, if you want too see what Memoria Press has to say on the topic:

http://www.memoriapress.com/articles/Caveat-Emptor-Latin.html

Makes sense to me...

Oh and Lively Latin seems to put heavy focus on derivatives (according to their site): http://www.livelylatin.com/site/aboutbigbook.htm

Edited by darlasowders

LFC has one page for each lesson dedicated to just working with the derivatives for the new Latin words learned in that lesson. :001_smile: We take that page a step further. We spend our whole Wednesday Latin block looking them up, using them in conversation, and such. My oldest also writes sentences that demonstrate his understanding of the word. Then we see how many places we can insert those words into daily life.

That's a good question, and one I hadn't thought to ask. I may just start a new thread about it...

ETA: here is an interesting article, if you want too see what Memoria Press has to say on the topic:

http://www.memoriapress.com/articles/Caveat-Emptor-Latin.html

Makes sense to me...

Not to me. Their response to #4 seems to be missing the point. Grammar and derivatives need not be an either/or. I am sure a program can teach both.

Oh and Lively Latin seems to put heavy focus on derivatives (according to their site): http://www.livelylatin.com/site/aboutbigbook.htm

Thanks, this is good to know. This is the second recommendation of LL I have been given. :001_smile:

LFC has one page for each lesson dedicated to just working with the derivatives for the new Latin words learned in that lesson. :001_smile: We take that page a step further. We spend our whole Wednesday Latin block looking them up, using them in conversation, and such. My oldest also writes sentences that demonstrate his understanding of the word. Then we see how many places we can insert those words into daily life.

Thanks for this good info on how you extend the lesson. Also good to know LfC teaches the derivatives in each lesson. :001_smile: