Menu

7th Grade math question re: algebra

sixglides

My 7th grade dd, has always been very strong in math. She did Saxon through 7/6, then switched to LOF for fractions, decimals & pre-algebra.

She's been working through Algebra I (LOF) this year & it's just gotten really hard, like all of a sudden it doesn't click.

I've read on some other posts about brain development that needs to occur. SO...

Do we just stop, and try again next year? Any suggestions?

1. Maybe the instruction isn't a good match

2. Maybe the amount of practice of the new concepts has been insufficient

3. Maybe the foundations are weak (fractions, decimals, etc.)

I think it's more likely to be one of the above rather than brain development. JMO.

While we have quite a few LOF books (one of my kids loves to read the story over and over but we havent used them for the math), I am skeptical about whether the amount of practice is sufficient - I suspect it may differ between students. (I admit I haven't looked inside the algebra books yet.)

I might have her view Khan Academy videos on the concepts she's struggling with. I might also try adding practice from the Key to Algebra series or from a more traditional algebra text.

Edited by wapiti