Menu

spelling help for a 4th grader

Julie in MO

Hi all,

I'm asking a question for a friend of mine whose 4th grader (in private school) is struggling with spelling. He had a hard time learning to read and he does not seem to respond to the phonetic method of spelling like he's being taught in class. It appears that he pays more attention to how a word looks than how it sounds. The school has not identified any learning disabilities, so my friend is looking for supplemental information to help him improve his spelling skills at home. Does anyone have some ideas to share? It will be much appreciated!

Blessings,

Julie

I understand that your friend's child seems to "look" at a word and read it better than phonics, but I would question the phonics instruction they are using in the school he attends.

My son had a lot of reading spelling issues. He is special needs. I finally broke down and bought All About Spelling (AAS). It has worked wonders.

Everything we worked on in AAS was what our SLP (speech language pathologist) was working on with my son for literacy. The research for AAS is really solid.

I would really encourage your friend to look into it.

HTH,

Elise in NC

It sounds like he needs some remedial phonics instruction along with the spelling.

AAS is a good resource.

However, he also most likely needs some nonsense words and syllable division help.

Megawords is good for syllables, and my free game makes both nonsense and real words:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Phonics/concentrationgam.html

He could also try either my online phonics lessons (they include a ton of spelling help and spelling rules) or the program on my how to tutor page.