Menu

7th grade grammar/writing

Hello all,

Planning for next year - looking to follow more of the TWTM methods, but unsure of where to go with our grammar and writing. I have been looking at Rod & Staff, but I really don't know which level to start my DS. TWTM suggests starting him back at grade 5, but we have been doing grammar with Shurley, so I wonder if that would be too repetitive. He has a good grasp on grammar concepts, but we have not done any diagramming. How important is the diagramming? We could just keep going with Shurley and add in a writing program.

We need to work on writing, this is his weakest subject. Probably because it is my worst, and I have little confidence for teaching it to him. Need to have something that steps us through the process (more for me than him - especially for grading/giving feedback.)

Hoping for some guidance on which way to go next year. TIA for any and all help.

Hi Michelle. Since your ds has been using Shurley and it seems to be working for grammar, my suggestion would be to stay with it. Shurely is a really good program. I think you are right, if you go back to 5th grade level R&S it would be repetitive and boring. My take on TWTM suggestion for R&S 5 was for students that either need remedial grammar or have had no grammar at all.

I've hopped around with grammar programs and found it to be hard on both my dd and I. It would have been so much better to start with a good, solid curriculum and see it through. I did start her on R&S 5 this year after having tried three different curriculums and having her flounder around and get behind, but my plan is for us to stay with R&S from now on.

Your idea to supplement Shurley with a good writing program sounds really smart. I think that is what I'd do if I were in your shoes.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Thank you for your suggestions. I think we are just going to stick with Shurley - it has worked well for us.

As for writing, I am looking at going with IEW, or writing strands - will take a closer look at both when we go to a conference next month.

Thanks again.