Menu

Discussion questions - I like the Q's in TOG, any other sources?

I am getting to the point where I can no longer keep up with all my children's reading, so I am looking for some sort of discussion questions. I like the Q's in TOG, but I can't get a good idea of their reading list and I'm pretty picky about that. The samples I saw on light looked a little weak and it feels like a stab in the dark to spend so much money without examining their book list. I've been using books from TruthQuest, which I love, but it doesn't help with discussions.

Is there any other place to get good discussion questions like TOG? I don't mean the comprehension/were-you-paying-attention type questions, but pondering the big themes of major historical events? Is there such a thing? I would like to stick with a Christian world-view.

Thanks!

I am getting to the point where I can no longer keep up with all my children's reading, so I am looking for some sort of discussion questions. I like the Q's in TOG, but I can't get a good idea of their reading list and I'm pretty picky about that. The samples I saw on light looked a little weak and it feels like a stab in the dark to spend so much money without examining their book list. I've been using books from TruthQuest, which I love, but it doesn't help with discussions.

Is there any other place to get good discussion questions like TOG? I don't mean the comprehension/were-you-paying-attention type questions, but pondering the big themes of major historical events? Is there such a thing? I would like to stick with a Christian world-view.

Thanks!

For History you can substitute your own history books. The questions are topic specific and not book specific. For Lit the worksheets are specific to the book.

Heather

I haven't found another source that provides a suggested book list, asks BOTH recall questions and in-depth questions, and then provides a quickie summary of what the child read for me so that I can lead the in-depth discussion. (The in-depth discussion can go so many different directions so "covering" that for the parent can be a toughie. TOG does a good job.)

Apart from the questions though, another advantage to TOG is the METHODS they use to teach the child to study. The student activity pages (at least at the D & R level) are filled with charts and tables that the student completes; many of these are used for several weeks to compare people or civilizations, etc. So you don't just get the questions; the program teaches the child how to summarize, reduce, and organize large amounts of reading and data into a concise form. That has been so helpful for my kids!

So many of TOG's titles - especially the literature selections are hidden because they use anthologies in order to reduce the cost of the program. The other issue is that they offer several different credits that the student can earn. So year one books like "The Republic" aren't listed under history but are scheduled complete with questions and a teacher's discussion guide under the Government credit. My suggestion? Call them and talk to them - or pop an email off to their customer service. They are such a helpful bunch. You might get a better feel for their book list.

As far as their Christian worldview, I find it a very balanced presentation. Very often when they introduce topics/ideas/actions that might be good topics for biblical application and discussion, they fill the side-bar of the teacher's guide with scriptures that address the issue at hand. (I appreciate this; rather than spend pages discussion what they think; they tend to offer up WAYS of thinking about the issue, provide some scriptural information, and then they GET OUT OF THE WAY so I can interact with my kids. Informative but not preachy - at least not for me.) Sure, I could pull out my Thompson-Chain and do this myself, but it is so convenient to have it sitting right there. AND I remember to do it with my kids; a big circle around the passage helps me to remember to dig deeply here.

I would suggest that you give them a buzz. They have just done SO much of the leg-work. If it does fit your beliefs/model/style of homeschooling I would hate for you to discount it because the booklist doesn't "appear" broad enough. I was pleasantly surprised by how much WAS there; it was just hidden in that great big anthology and on the "alternate titles" pages.

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

and spent a lot of time going through them and highlighting. I like everything I see - I just can't get a good feel for the reading list. I have so many good books I want to cover. I want to cover ancient sources like Livy, Eusebius, Josephus, and Plutarch; American history sources like the federalist & anti-fed papers and literature like Scarlet Pimpernel, Rabble in Arms, Lorna Doone, Last of the Mohicans; and lots of British literature!

What is your opinion of the TOG reading material compared to other programs? For example, the lists in WTM? Or Omnibus? I've also considered Omnibus, but I think we would have to add an entire credit hour just studying their interpretation & opinion of various literature. I do like the way TOG, as one of you said, gets out of the way.

I know I can substitute in some of my own material, but it will kind of defeat the purpose if I have to rewrite the entire program. So do you think I could make of list of, say, 20 of my most important books then call and ask TOG if they are included?

Thanks so much all of your help!

Generally the way to find the books, for year 1 and 2 is through the order form or by use of the bookshelf.

Here is the order form for year 1.

Here is the order form for year 2.

On the bookshelf you can use this search to find books for a specific year, unit and level.

I am not sure if that includes the alternate books they list in the program, or just the main titles. Like I said earlier you can substitute any book on the topic for history.

Heather

p.s. They won't have Year 3 and 4 till the redesign of those years are done. Sometime 2008 for year 3 and 2009 for year 4.

The book lists are only for the primary sources, not the alternates. The anthologies should be listed as primary sources. You could find them on the book lists and then go to amazon to see what books are included in the anthologies. I can't say if all of them will be covered throughout the year, though.

I've had good email contact with TOG, but haven't yet called them. Personally, I also have a mental list of books I'd like my girls to read in high school, and plan to add them in if they are not listed with TOG. We may not read the anthology version, either. We'll probably read the entire thing and skip something else that's listed in the curriculum.

The book lists are only for the primary sources, not the alternates.

That is what I thought, thanks for clarifying. I have the classic so I was just going by eyeballing it. :rolleyes:

I am another for original sources. In fact, right now I am searching for an unedited version of Brother's Grim (and think I found one for under $5!). In addition I too just use the TOG ideas as a jumping off point. I took the composer study in Year 3 week 3 (i think) and tuned it into a whole year project. :D

Heather

I've got a stack of samples here over an inch thick, but I missed the order forms. Thanks so much! :D

It is easy to miss. To find it next time it is on the first page of The Bookshelf, the button with the mail box on it (for mail in forms).

Heather