Menu

I just have to say... I love my church.

Good story. Thanks!

BTW we heard last week that Humanitarian Aid is running low on quilts, so if any LDS WTMers (or anyone for that matter) have a nice quilt to share or the desire to sew a few, you can take them to your local bishop's storehouse or your HA leader. Between Haiti, Japan, and other places, there's a lot of need for quilts!

This is one of the reasons I love it, too. And even on a smaller scale, when someone in the congregation suddenly falls ill, or has some other sort of tragedy occur, it's not long before some form of help arrives. My Bishop's house burned down several years ago, and within 24 hours they had a new place to stay, and all "new" (to them) furniture for themselves and their kids, plus clothes, dishes, pots, pans, etc. etc. all donated by members of the congregation. The phone calls started almost before the firetrucks arrived, and arrangements started being made. LDS congregations are called "Ward Families" with good reason. :)

Good story. Thanks!

BTW we heard last week that Humanitarian Aid is running low on quilts, so if any LDS WTMers (or anyone for that matter) have a nice quilt to share or the desire to sew a few, you can take them to your local bishop's storehouse or your HA leader. Between Haiti, Japan, and other places, there's a lot of need for quilts!

Oh that's good to know. The kids and I made a quilt a while back but at that point they said they had too many. But you're right, they have it listed as a priority need right now and it says they have more requests than they can fill, so it's time to go dig our humanitarian quilt out and finish the binding (I'm such a procrastinator!). Maybe we can get another one put together too. Even after they fill all the requests they're still going to need to rebuild the stockpile.

This would make a good co-op project too. Kids can learn to tie quilts and they don't have to be perfect to keep someone warm. For anyone who is interested, here's a link to the page that has info about specifications for quilts to be donated and a phone number you can call to find out where to take them in your area. http://www.ldsphilanthropies.org/humanitarian-services/humanitarian-pattern.html

Also, I know financial donations are always welcome and other church funds are used for administrative stuff so that 100% of your donation to the Humanitarian fund gets used to help people. Here's the link for financial donations: http://www.ldsphilanthropies.org/humanitarian-services/funds/humanitarian-general-fund.html

Edited by MamaSheep

Hey, Amy, there's no link there... :D

I don't have time to sew and produce new ones right now, but I'm definitely planning to make a couple when school's out. I have tons of fabric and I know I can run up a couple of simple quilts in no time.

But yep, this would be a great co-op project for kids!

Hey, Amy, there's no link there... :D

I don't have time to sew and produce new ones right now, but I'm definitely planning to make a couple when school's out. I have tons of fabric and I know I can run up a couple of simple quilts in no time.

But yep, this would be a great co-op project for kids!

Oh dagnabbit, you're right. I'll look it up again and go back and edit the link in. I swear I'm losing my mind lately. I went to the store this morning for onion sets and found myself standing there staring blankly at bags of bulbs trying desperately to remember what I'd gone there for. Sheesh. I must need more sleep or something. Thanks. :)