Menu

CC Cycle 3: What are you using for history?

lindsrae

We've been a part of a Classical Conversations community for the last year and a half. My DD will be in first grade, and I am looking for supplements for US geography and history. And recommendations? Is there a curriculum you would recommend or a not-to-be missed book?

I'm using America's Story: A Living History of Our World. Published by Queen and also available at Rainbow Resource. It is definitely a nice read -- good for first grade (I'll have a K'er and 3rd grader). The notebooking student piece is good, too.

I'm supplementing my older DD with books from Sonlight Core 3. Depending on your daughter's interest, there may be some books that she would like. Try the D'auliere books on Columbus and Pocahontas, among others. Native American Indians is an easy read, too.

Have fun!

I'm planning to use Betsy Maestro's books. There are several other resources that I'm looking at, but I haven't made a decision as to which I will actually use: Mara Pratt's American History Stories, The American Story: 100 True Tales from American History by Jennifer Armstrong or Children's Encyclopedia of American History. ~HTH

http://www.amazon.com/Betsy-Maestro/e/B000APFVQ8/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1300660568&sr=1-1

http://www.mainlesson.com/displayauthor.php?author=pratt

http://www.amazon.com/American-Story-True-Tales-History/dp/0375812563/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1300660937&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Childrens-Encyclopedia-American-Smithsonian-Institution/dp/0789483300/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1300660902&sr=1-1

My plan is to use Beautiful Feet's Early American, along with the Betsy Maestro series.

We are using map placemats & Audio Memory's states & capitals music right now to learn the geographic part. It is amazing how learning something that was SO painful for me when I was a kid is SO much fun for my kids! I guess it is b/c they are learning it in the appropriate developmental phase (at my school, we didn't do it until 5th grade).

My kids have also been watching the Liberty Kids videos when we are in the car for long periods of time.

This may all be over their heads, who knows. But I figure even if it's just exposure, not mastery, that's OK!

Several really good suggestions so far (Beautiful Feet, Sonlight list, etc.)

Your Director can provide a reading list developed for each week of CC Foundations. It lists the pretty standard historical fiction that you will find in any of the literature based programs.

I used Artner's Guide when we did American History in the elementary years. It just lists great historical fiction in chronological order.

There are several authors whom you don't want to miss: d'Aulaire, Jean Fritz, Maestro.

I'm using Peter Marshall's Light and the Glory for Children series plus any good living books I can find (NONE of the libraries in my area carry ANY of the D'Aulaire books! :blink:) Also, I found this neat 3D interactive map craft book on Amazon for geography, plus I plan on purchasing Geography Scribe and History Scribe for notebooking pages. (www.historyscribe.com) This is an incredible resource that includes all eras of history and geography for very little money.

Oh yeah, I plan on showing Liberty's Kids as well. Add all this to all the CC history memory work and I think it's sufficient for a 6 and 7 year old.;)

I have the same question, but my kids will be 10 and 6.

I will continue to use SOTW, because I want the kids to see where the US fits into the whole scheme of things, but I also want to dig in deeper to US history along with cycle 3.

Would that be SOTW Vol. 3 or 4?

I have also been wondering what I will use with CC Cycle 3 next year. Great thread!

I am also going to do a one-year US history using some selections from SL 3+4, some from WP's American history programs, and some selections from my bookshelf.

We will be using America's History Land of Liberty by Vivian Bernstein as our spine. The black is the chapter title from America's History, the blue is a read-aloud and the green is a reader.

First semester weeks 1-18

Earliest People of the Americas North American Indians by Douglas Gorsline Pocahontas and the Strangers by Clyde Robert Bulla (week 1 of 2)

Europeans Explore the Americas The Discovery of the Americas: From Prehistory Through the Age of Columbus by Betsy Maestro Pocahontas and the Strangers by Clyde Robert Bulla (week 2 of 2)

Europeans Settle America Exploration and Conquest: The Americas After Columbus by Betsy Maestro The Matchlock Gun by Walter D. Edmonds (week 1 of 2)

Africans in America The New Americans: Colonial Times by Betsy Maestro The Matchlock Gun by Walter D. Edmonds (week 2 of 2)

The English Settle in North America Colonial Crafts by Bobbie KalmanThe Sign of the Beaver by Elizabeth George Speare (week 1 of 2)

Life in the 13 Colonies George Washington for Kids by Brandon Marie Miller (week 1 of 4)The Sign of the Beaver by Elizabeth George Speare (week 2 of 2)

The Road to Revolution George Washington for Kids by Brandon Marie Miller (week 2 of 4)Meet Benjamin Franklin by Maggi Scarf

The American Revolution George Washington for Kids by Brandon Marie Miller (week 3 of 4) Thomas Jefferson by Cheryl Harness

The Nation's New Constitution The US Constitution and You by Syl SobelNo reader this week. Read the raH together.

The Start of the New Nation George Washington for Kids by Brandon Marie Miller (week 4 of 4)Phoebe the Spy by Judith Griffin

A Time of Growth and War How We Crossed The West: The Adventures Of Lewis And Clark by Rosalyn SchanzerMillie Cooper's Ride: A True Story from History by Marc Simmons

Growth and Sectionalism Amazing Impossible Erie Canal by Cheryl HarnessTrail of Tears (Step-Into-Reading, Step 5) by Joseph Bruchac

Working for Reform and Culture The West: An Illustrated History for Children by Dayton Duncan (selections from week 1 of 2)The Great Turkey Walk by Kathleen Karr (week 1 of 3)

Americans Move Westward The West: An Illustrated History for Children by Dayton Duncan (week 1 of 2)The Great Turkey Walk by Kathleen Karr (week 2 of 3)

North and South Disagree Last Safe House, The: A Story of the Underground Railroad by Barbara Greenwood (week 1 of 2) The Great Turkey Walk by Kathleen Karr (week 3 of 3)

The Beginning of the Civil War Last Safe House, The: A Story of the Underground Railroad by Barbara Greenwood (week 2 of 2) Shades of Gray by Carolyn Reeder (week 1 of 3)

The End of the Civil War Lincoln: A Photobiography by Russell Freedman (week 1 of 2) Shades of Gray by Carolyn Reeder (week 2 of 3)

The Reconstruction Years Lincoln: A Photobiography by Russell Freedman (week 2 of 2) Shades of Gray by Carolyn Reeder (week 3 of 3)

Second Semester weeks 19-36

Growth in the American West Tracks Across America by Leonard Everett Fisher (selections from week 1 of 2) When the Circus Came to Town by Laurence Yep (week 1 of 2)

The Growth of Business and Industry Tracks Across America by Leonard Everett Fisher (week 2 of 2) When the Circus Came to Town by Laurence Yep (week 2 of 2)

Immigration and Labor Movements Change America Immigrant Kids by Russell Freedman (week 1 of 2) George Washington Carver by Matt Doeden

Reform and the Progressive Movement Immigrant Kids by Russell Freedman (week 2 of 2) Who Was Helen Keller? by Gare Thompson

The United States Becomes a World Power The Remarkable Rough-Riding Life of Theodore Roosevelt and the Rise of Empire America (week 1 of 2) Wheels of Time by Catherine Gourley

The United States and Latin America The Remarkable Rough-Riding Life of Theodore Roosevelt and the Rise of Empire America (week 2 of 2) The Wright Brothers by Quentin Reynolds (week 1 of 2)

The United States in World War I Hero Over Here by Kathleen V. Kudlinski The Wright Brothers by Quentin Reynolds (week 1 of 2)

America in the 1920s Children of the Depression by Russell Freedman (week 1 of 2) Ticket to the Twenties: A Time Traveler's Guide by Mary Blocksma

The Great Depression Children of the Depression by Russell Freedman (week 2 of 2) Rose's Journal: The Story of a Girl in the Great Depression by Marissa Moss

The Beginning of World War II Ultra Hush-hush: Espionage and Special Missions by Stephen Shapiro, Tina Forrester (week 1 of 2) On The Wings of Heroes by Richard Peck (week 1 of 2)

The Fight to Win World War IIUltra Hush-hush: Espionage and Special Missions by Stephen Shapiro, Tina Forrester (week 2 of 2) On The Wings of Heroes by Richard Peck (week 2 of 2)

The Cold War Begins Spying and the Cold War by Michael Burgan In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson by Bette Bao Lord (week 1 of 2)

The Civil Rights Movement Freedom Riders by Ann Bausum In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson by Bette Bao Lord (week 2 of 2)

Americans Fight a War in Vietnam Vietnam War (DK Eyewitness Books) by Stuart Murray Leaving Vietnam by Sarah S. Kilborne

Successes and Trouble in the 1960s and 1970s Kennedy Assassinated! The World Mourns by Wilborn Hampton First Moon Landing by Thomas K. Adamson

The United States Faces World Problems Tensions in the Gulf, 1978-1991 by J. E. Peterson (week 1 of 2) The Backward Bird Dog by Bill Wallace (week 1 of 2)

The United States in Today's World Tensions in the Gulf, 1978-1991 by J. E. Peterson (week 2 of 2 )The Backward Bird Dog by Bill Wallace (week 2 of 2)

America in the New Century The History of the Internet by Josepha Sherman Steve Jobs & Steve Wozniak: Geek Heroes Who Put the Personal in Computers by Mike Venezia

We will be listening to 2 books on audio each semester.

Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes

Carry On, Mr. Bowditch by Jean Lee Latham

Cheaper by the Dozen by Frank B Gilbreth Jr and Ernestine Gilbreth Carey

My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George

We will also be using Oxford Illustrated Book of American Children's Poems and Great American Artists for Kids throughout the year.

I am very excited!

Mandy

Would that be SOTW Vol. 3 or 4?

I have also been wondering what I will use with CC Cycle 3 next year. Great thread!

Both volumes, actually. We will listen to the audio of all of it (to put things in context), but pull out and emphasize what concerns the history of the US, to go along with the CC cycle.

This is what we have done this year with volumes 2 and 3 and it has worked great!

Both volumes, actually. We will listen to the audio of all of it (to put things in context), but pull out and emphasize what concerns the history of the US, to go along with the CC cycle.

This is what we have done this year with volumes 2 and 3 and it has worked great!

Thank you!