Menu

Paris and London Question

I'm getting, very, very frustrated with trying to find reasonable and fairly nice accommodation in both cities. We usually get our hotels through Priceline and are always happy with them. But both cities are shamefully expensive. Especially when we're heading there - summer.

Is anyone familiar with staying in the Heathrow, Orly, or Charles de Gaulle areas and commuting into the city via the London Underground and Metro? Will it end up costing about the same anyway? Airport hotels tend to be much cheaper (and even better quality) than city hotels. But the price and hassle of the daily commute back and forth may be a total and absolute pain.

Thank you. Right now, I am absolutely going out of my mind. :banghead: :cursing: :banghead:

My then 18yo dd & I went to London & Paris (& surrounding areas) in May 2010. She made all the arrangements. We were on a very tight budget, and were happy to walk a lot, happy to have tiny but clean and safe rooms. You may have a completely different paradigm!

LONDON: within walking distance of Buck Palace, Vic Station Tube, etc.

Hotel Victoria via Easy Hotel #1 ($66)

> 36-40 Belgrave Road, London SW1V Ph: 02078341379

enquiries@victoria.easyhotel.com

http://www.easyhotel.com/hotels/london_victoria.html

Tiny, but clean and new-feeling room in the basement (cheapest).

CHUNNEL STATION: easy walk to Eurostar/King's Station

Kings Hotel (near Eurostar station) $65

Noisy, not exactly clean, bath down the hall, but we needed to take the Chunnel @6am!

There are 2 streets filled with about 10 similar hotels in this area.

HEATHROW: took tube to airport, then bus to motel, then walk to motel

: Hotel London Heathrow via Easy Hotel #2 ($50)

> Brick Field Ln, Harlington, UB3 5DX

Email: enquiries@heathrow.easyhotel.com http://www.easyhotel.com/hotels/london_heathrow.html

PARIS: took tube to center of town where tourist sites are

Hôtel Balladins Paris La Villette; ($60 or so)

219 Rue De Crimee, 19. Buttes-Chaumont, Paris, 75019

Booking #153.961.228 Phone: +33140389100

Phone in France: 888-850-3958 reservation@balladins.com

This will give you a start. Our dd always checked for online customer feedback, and we tried to keep a light heart--knowing it was going to be a crazy adventure! Surprises along the way galore!

Beth, thank you so much. :grouphug:

BTW, I absolutely love your avatar, from one of my all-time favorite movies. :D

We found places in both London and Paris. I'm so relieved and so excited. Premier Inn in London. We went on Trip Advisor also and picked one in a good location and with good reviews.

For Paris, we found a hopefully nice B&B for us all from Rick Steves' book.

I'm very surprised that for the first time, I really didn't succeed with Priceline. This has never happened to me before.

Cynthia, love your siggy quote. One of our favorite books and movies also. :)

I know you already found something but I thought I would throw this out there for others. Instead of hotels we have booked week long apartment/condo rentals. We had one in London last year and it was great. We have also done them in the U.S. in Florida, Michigan, and Puerto Rico. We use homeaway.com and have only had good experiences.

You are usually either renting from the owner or from a rental management company. This way we have been able to get two bedroom, kitchen, multiple bathroom apartments for a week and saved money by cooking some of our own food. The cost has been the same or cheaper than a hotel. You don't get maid service (although sometimes you can pay extra for it) but the benefit of having a kitchen and rooms for the little kids to go to bed early outweighs that for us!

I know and I'm jealous! Heidelberg is my favorite city. We're just looking for something for a family of five that is kid friendly that won't break the bank.

Yeah, a room for 5 is going to cost! Are you willing to do 2 rooms? If so, the Ibis hotel is about 69 Euro/night/per room. The one in HD is right next to the hauptbahnhof and it would take you about 5 minutes via the strassenbahn to get downtown. There are plenty of restaurants nearby too. It's not the prettiest section, and it can be busy, but it's convenient. When are you looking to visit?