Menu

Good-Nites or similar...

So, DS(4) has been potty trained for some time now. He's dry all day, and DH or I will wake him up to take him to the potty 1-2 times a night. His pediatrician told us today that maybe we should not be disturbing his sleep on a regular basis to take him to the toilet. He said that his body just isn't ready to wake itself up at night to potty, and that it may help his "problems" (his word, NOT mine-- DS has sensitivity & sensory issues) if we let him get to that point on his own. So DH is out right now buying a package of Good-Nites for him to try tonight. I don't want him to feel like we're punishing him or like he's a "baby" who has to wear a "diaper" to bed. Anyone BTDT? What's a good way to introduce the idea to DS?

My girls wore Good Nites until they were dry in the morning for a month. Then they got to pick a special toy and we celebrated being done with the Good Nites.

I would tell him it's something you'd like to try. If he stays dry, he doesn't have to wear them, but if he needs them, it's better than wet sheets, certainly.

I haven't BTDT. Sorry! I do think it's a good idea not to wake him up, though, and to let his body figure that out as he gets a little older.

Thanks! Turns out there was no need to worry. He looked at the package & saw the picture of the "big boys" & the Pampers logo and said, "Mom, are those special pull-up diapers for big boys? That's cool-- they can keep me dry."

:D I LOVE his attitude! My dd was like that, too. Just be aware that it may take a while longer than you think it should for him to wake up dry. My dd has sensory issues, too, and she FINALLY didn't need waterproof pads or GoodNights right before she turned 8. Of course, night-time wetting runs in my family as well. My uncle and several of my cousin's kids were almost into their teens before they were dry all night. Hopefully, that won't be the case with your son.