Menu

MFW high school.... Are you using their lesson plans for science too?

My dd's doing Apologia Biology right now, and she likes it. It's HARD, but it's good. There's definitely no fluff in it... she's been challenged, but is learning a ton. We're not using MFW lesson plans for it, though, because she's taking Bio with an outside class.

She did General in 8th grade (skipped Physical), but did not use MFW plans for that either, because I bought it used and it came with SL's lesson plans. I did buy MFW's lesson plans for General to use with 2nd dd next year, but I haven't really looked at it yet. Is there anything specific you'd like to know about it? What I mean is, when you say that you'd like to "hear how it is", do you mean the overall schedule for the day, or the layout of the lesson plans, or something more specific?

My oldest is using MFW lesson plans for Saxon math, and 2nd dd will eventually, too.

My dd's doing Apologia Biology right now, and she likes it. It's HARD, but it's good. There's definitely no fluff in it... she's been challenged, but is learning a ton. We're not using MFW lesson plans for it, though, because she's taking Bio with an outside class.

She did General in 8th grade (skipped Physical), but did not use MFW plans for that either, because I bought it used and it came with SL's lesson plans. I did buy MFW's lesson plans for General to use with 2nd dd next year, but I haven't really looked at it yet. Is there anything specific you'd like to know about it? What I mean is, when you say that you'd like to "hear how it is", do you mean the overall schedule for the day, or the layout of the lesson plans, or something more specific?

My oldest is using MFW lesson plans for Saxon math, and 2nd dd will eventually, too.

Thanks, Donna! We've only used just a couple of the elementary Apologia books. I've read that Apologia is written to the student and can be done independently.... I'm just curious how this is different from using the MFW lesson plans.

I cannot deny.... I love MFW's simple layout of high school classes. Somehow the way they have their 4-year chart organized simplifies the challenge I feel when I think of homeschooling highschool.

I'm just not sure what science I want to do.... Just reading the boards, some really don't like Apologia because of the chattiness and because of the author's "preachiness". Others love Apologia.

I found out that many of the public schools where I live use Miller-Levine Biology. I know it's secular, but the whole idea of a chapter mystery and the way it has lots of color would really appeal to my dd. The big down-side, however, is that M-L isn't written to the student, and I'm not sure how much would be required for me to teach..... I would certainly rely on the extra helps that come with that curriculum.

I'm heading for a choice between secular and Christian, I think. Anyway, I am planning to use MFW for history, and it seems silly not to take a hard look at Apologia since that is the science they schedule.

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama

(let me try again.. I got a timed out message)

We use the MFW plans for apologia in high school. I like it because my daughter can easily check off the day's work. I like the all in one approach to recording test grades and lab reports, and how the supplies are listed both in the front and in each module. I like the reminders to do the multimedia cd and study.

It was nice to buy the whole package from mfw and have the lesson planners there. I know other planners are out there, but this was less work on us to go with mfw's since we were buying from them.

-crystal

(let me try again.. I got a timed out message)

We use the MFW plans for apologia in high school. I like it because my daughter can easily check off the day's work. I like the all in one approach to recording test grades and lab reports, and how the supplies are listed both in the front and in each module. I like the reminders to do the multimedia cd and study.

It was nice to buy the whole package from mfw and have the lesson planners there. I know other planners are out there, but this was less work on us to go with mfw's since we were buying from them.

-crystal

Thank you, Crystal. I consistently hear so many good things about MFW high school.

Are you pleased with Apologia? Did you ever consider any other Christian texts like Science Shepherd or BJU?

It would be helpful to read about how others came to a decision about what high school science to use.....

Hmmmm... my original post is morphing just a bit...

We have used MFW for 5 years now. My ds is doing 1850-present and my 9th grade dd is using AHL. We use the MFW science plans for Apologia and it works very well. My dd is totally independent with science-She does have a friend who is also using Apologia Phy. Sci come over every other week to do labs together. She could easily do them on her own but it is just more fun with a friend :). Keeps them on schedule, too.

She loves Apologia and it is the one subject that she is always sharing info about what she has learned in her everyday converstation with us.

We love Apologia here-and the MFW leasson plans that go with it. We did get the CD and audio CD to go along with it so that she has everything she needs for a great experience. Not neccessary but seems to help-she likes to sometimes take a break from reading and just listen to the audio CD.

This is my path in deciding to use Jay Wile's program in jr. high and high school.

The first few times I went to a homeschool convention, I saw his stuff. I kept it in the back of my mind for years as my oldest was very young (as in K and 1st grade).

I was encouraged with his science background (my dh has a phd in chemistry). I liked the books. I heard good stuff from people I knew locally (we lived in a university town at the time) and so I was confident it was enough for high school and doable. Experiments were doable at home.

So, when my oldest was ready to start 7th grade, we went with it. It helped some that by that time mfw was selling it. I had decided to try Wile's stuff before I even knew MFW existed. It's worked, so we stay with it. Other MFW recommendations had clicked with us, so I was encouraged by that.

Not a very detailed reason, but it was so simple and easy to try it.

He had some credentials that meant something to us. I knew real life people who were years ahead of me in homeschooling who use and like it. We were all in a university town where we're homeschooling academic geeks. It just fit what we needed. It works well with my oldest and my middle starts next year with some modifications. Middle gal will start off using the fancy, expensive notebook options from knowledge box to help with her learning style.

that's our journey in the decision. Others (that I respect) had researched it. I had peace.

-crystal

Thank you so much, Crystal. This was very helpful to read.

This is my path in deciding to use Jay Wile's program in jr. high and high school.

The first few times I went to a homeschool convention, I saw his stuff. I kept it in the back of my mind for years as my oldest was very young (as in K and 1st grade).

I was encouraged with his science background (my dh has a phd in chemistry). I liked the books. I heard good stuff from people I knew locally (we lived in a university town at the time) and so I was confident it was enough for high school and doable. Experiments were doable at home.

So, when my oldest was ready to start 7th grade, we went with it. It helped some that by that time mfw was selling it. I had decided to try Wile's stuff before I even knew MFW existed. It's worked, so we stay with it. Other MFW recommendations had clicked with us, so I was encouraged by that.

Not a very detailed reason, but it was so simple and easy to try it.

He had some credentials that meant something to us. I knew real life people who were years ahead of me in homeschooling who use and like it. We were all in a university town where we're homeschooling academic geeks. It just fit what we needed. It works well with my oldest and my middle starts next year with some modifications. Middle gal will start off using the fancy, expensive notebook options from knowledge box to help with her learning style.

that's our journey in the decision. Others (that I respect) had researched it. I had peace.

-crystal

My dd is using MFW AHL, but we're not using Apologia. My middle ds used Apologia Biology and enjoyed it and learned a lot, but we didn't know about MFW then (sad to say!), so we followed a plan I found on line. DD needed a different approach to Biology, and we found the Biology 101 DVD set and went with that. It and outside reading/living books and virtual labs are what she's doing, and it is working very well.

Next year we will be doing the MFW WHL, and dd may also be doing MFW's Health elective. I've thought of the Finance elective as well, we just need to see how things work out, schedule and credit-wise.

For Foreign Language, Rosetta Stone doesn't work out here, so dd is using Visual Link Spanish. It's worked out great, and she has learned a lot!

For Math, Saxon was a bomb here as well (BAD experience 3 years ago). She's struggling with Algebraic concepts, so we are using TT Algebra 1 on her schedule, allowing extra practice where she needs it, and moving forward at her pace.

That being said, for the History, Bible, English/Lit. component of her education, I would use nothing other than MFW! It's been basically perfect for dd, and she's learned so much, and enjoys it all! That is so wonderful for me to see!

So, in conclusion ;), we love MFW's whole set-up for the main classes and have done well, despite not using the other components (science, foreign language, math, electives)!

Edited by Brindee
correct spelling

My dd is using MFW AHL, but we're not using Apologia. My middle ds used Apologia Biology and enjoyed it and learned a lot, but we didn't know about MFW then (sad to say!), so we followed a plan I found on line. DD needed a different approach to Biology, and we found the Biology 101 DVD set and went with that. It and outside reading/living books and virtual labs are what she's doing, and it is working very well.

Next year we will be doing the MFW WHL, and dd may also be doing MFW's Health elective. I've thought of the Finance elective as well, we just need to see how things work out, schedule and credit-wise.

For Foreign Language, Rosetta Stone doesn't work out here, so dd is using Visual Link Spanish. It's worked out great, and she has learned a lot!

For Math, Saxon was a bomb here as well (BAD experience 3 years ago). She's struggling with Algebraic concepts, so we are using TT Algebra 1 on her schedule, allowing extra practice where she needs it, and moving forward at her pace.

That being said, for the History, Bible, English/Lit. component of her education, I would use nothing other than MFW! It's been basically perfect for dd, and she's learned so much, and enjoys it all! That is so wonderful for me to see!

So, in conclusion ;), we love MFW's whole set-up for the main classes and have done well, despite not using the other components (science, foreign language, math, electives)!

Thank you, Brindee! I see us using MFW history/Bible/ and lit. We're having great success with Lial's math, so we'll continue with that as long as it is working. And then there is science. Biology is my nemesis for 9th grade. I hope choosing the other high school sciencs will be easier.

Thank you, Brindee! I see us using MFW history/Bible/ and lit. We're having great success with Lial's math, so we'll continue with that as long as it is working. And then there is science. Biology is my nemesis for 9th grade. I hope choosing the other high school sciencs will be easier.
:iagree: on the science thing. I need to work around dd's struggles with Algebra (I keep thinking she'll get it any time! :tongue_smilie:) when looking for science curriculum. I feel bad for her. She totally gets everything else and could be moving on better if she could get it. It'll come, it'll come. :001_smile: