Menu

Another Latin translation question, please.

The question is:

Imperium Iulii Caesaris erat __.

The answer is:

Imperium Iulii Caesaris erat magnum.

The power of Julius Caesar was great.

My question is:

Why isn't it magnus? Great here is a predicate adjective, right? And predicate adjectives are nominative, right? And magnus is nominative, right?

So is the answer magnum or magnus?

Ester, I still don't understand. Imperium is nominative, so magnus also has to be nominative. But isn't magnum accusative?

Magnum IS nominative, actually: the full description of the adjective is magnus, magna, magnum (M, F, N). When you recite the adjectives, you always include all the nominative forms of it, right? (masculine, feminine, neuter if it exists)

Now, magnum CAN also be accusative of magnus (M), but it is also nominative (and accusative) of magnum (N), and that's one of the beauties of Latin: the same form can mean several things and it takes understanding the sentence syntactically to know what it says. ;)

For example, video magnum hominem is the case where magnum is accusative; but in Imperium Romanum / magnum / etc., the -um is just a regular nominative neuter.

Alright, let's start with labeling the sentence:

____SN_____PNA____ LV ___ PRA

Imperium Iulii Caesaris erat magnum.

(PNA = possessive noun adjective, the equivelent of our 's in English, an alternative transation would be "Julius Caesar's Empire was great")

The PRA must match the SN in case/number/gender (this is the reason you will see adjectives written this way "magnus/magna/magnum" to show you a few declensions and their nominitive singular endings).

Parsing Imperium: Nominative/Singular/Neuter

That means that your adjective must match those three things...leading to magnum (nom/sing/neuter)

If the subject noun was "Iulius Caesar" then magnus would be the PrA to match the -us of the 2nd declension Masculine.

HTH!

Edited by Sevilla

Do you have your endings chart in front of you? That can sometimes help. Remember that certain endings (such as -um) are used more than once. BUT - certain parts of the sentence only do certain jobs

Ex. Nominative: SN/PrN/PrA (noun jobs)

Even though it has an -um ending, since it's the subject noun it automatically is NOT the accusative case because that deals with direct objects and objects of certain prepositions.

So because imperium is neuter (a fact which I overlooked), that means magnum also has to be neuter, right? If so, then I know we would have to choose magnum because of the Neuter Rule (which I also overlooked).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I have it now.

Thanks so much, you guys.

So because imperium is neuter (a fact which I overlooked), that means magnum also has to be neuter, right? If so, then I know we would have to choose magnum because of the Neuter Rule (which I also overlooked).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I have it now.

Thanks so much, you guys.

Exactly - the noun determines the adjective (and once you get into the 3rd declension nouns things get really interesting because the endings won't match even though the parsing will ;)).