Menu

Is this Mystery of History Volume 2 on Amazon the right one?

HappyGrace

And does it have the maps and all I need? Because I see under it that there is a reproducible maps CD:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_27?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mystery+of+history+volume+2&sprefix=mystery+of+history+volume+2

I was wondering partly because it is SO much cheaper than on the MOH website. Thanks!

The maps are in the book, but the book is a 2" paperback, so unless you have the binding removed it is very hard to get good copies. It sounds bad to have the binding removed, but to this day my volume 1 that had the binding removed and was 3 hole punched and put into a binder is in better condition than my volume 2, which has pages curling from sitting on my lap while I read it.

The CD makes it easier.

Let me explain the book industry a little, which will explain why authors generally charge full price. Generally small shops buy books from the publisher at 30% of retail. Big shops get a 40% off retail price, and authors get somewhere around 50% off retail. When I worked in the industry it was 50%. Yes that means the author does get a bigger discount but they also don't sell the volume. Amazon can afford a cheaper price simply because they sell more. The authors generally have a prearranged agreement with the publishing company, so it varies, but generally they only get a small percentage of each book sale. I am talking single digits here. The publishing company uses that 50-70% to pay for the printing of the books, sales and distribution as well as the fixed costs of running the business (salaries, electricity, etc..) and by the time you get to author's cut, it is small.

The Mystery of History website is Linda's website, the author, so if you buy from there she gets the agreed percentage as author of the book, but she also directly gets the additional profits, which helps her family, allows her to make the audio versions (she carries the cost of this all on her own), and keeps her writing the next volume instead of working. If you can afford it then it would be a blessing. If you can't, Linda would be the first person to understand you buying from a cheaper resource. You have to put your family first.

Heather