Menu

Spelling aid on sloppy copy?

Beth in SW WA

Dd7 wants to use the dictionary app on my iPad while writing rough drafts of her narrations, stories, etc (what we call her 'sloppy copy'). We don't do a sc for every writing assignment. We usually correct spelling and she writes misspelled words a few times. I encourage her to free-flow and not get too hung up on perfection. She likes the freedom to make mistakes knowing she can 'perfect' it later. She hates not knowing how to spell correctly.

Do you see a problem with that or am I creating a dependence on a spelling aid?

She loves looking up words on the dictionary app. She tends to be a natural speller and refers to spelling rules often.

Feedback welcome. Thanks in advance. :001_smile:

Edited by Beth in SW WA
Typo

I would let her! I'd make sure she knew that I didn't personally care if she made spelling errors in the "sloppy copy," that she could go back and fix them later. But if she preferred to do it first- well, I think it's great that she cares enough to want to get it right. :)

Guest Dulcimeramy

It sounds like a great method for her! I am in favor of every method to encourage an independent, self-motivated learner.

If you want to retain a semblance of pedagogy over her spelling, you could ask her to let you know which words she missed, looked up, and corrected. She could simply underline them within the text or make a list in the margin of her 'sloppy copy.'

If you think she'll gain confidence and be happier if you allow her to keep her spelling life private, that is also fine, IMO.

It sounds like a great method for her! I am in favor of every method to encourage an independent, self-motivated learner.

If you want to retain a semblance of pedagogy over her spelling, you could ask her to let you know which words she missed, looked up, and corrected. She could simply underline them within the text or make a list in the margin of her 'sloppy copy.'

If you think she'll gain confidence and be happier if you allow her to keep her spelling life private, that is also fine, IMO.

Thanks. We use SWR and it's a pain to finger-spell/dictate spelling for each word that she wants to write.

Yes, I'm lazy. :)