Menu

Best Bible/history integration

I've read great things about how MFW lines up history & Bible. Are there other programs that do this just as well? I know I need to print off samples of different programs, but I'd like some input from users, too. I've looked at TOG, SCM, Biblioplan, & TruthQuest. I know there are probably others I haven't even considered. I'd really like a chronological history curriculum that integrates biblical history & secular history with as much actual Bible reading as possible. Sounds like this is exactly what MFW does. But I'm not sure it will have enough flexibility, especially with science. I guess I could add or sub science. Anyone use MFW for history & Bible only? I've also thought about combining a couple of the others (SCM/Biblioplan/TruthQuest). And TOG looks great, but I'm not sure it has as much Bible integration throughout all years. But again, I could add in appropriate Bible studies. I don't want to waste time & money on a program then do lots of tweaking. And I'm afraid I'm going to be a tweaker.

TIA for any input you can give.

I have used Mystery of History, as well as Biblioplan. In fact, I have used MoH with Biblioplan. I absolutely love the literature suggestions from Biblioplan. It is very easy to use, and you can pick and choose from a variety of history spines.

My high school student is using MFW. That is working out well, although we are adding in more lit.

What age or ages are you planning to teach?

We are using and love, Mystery of History. I think it does a great job presenting what is going on in Biblical history and what is happening elsewhere in the world at the same time. Some of the topics, like The Phoenicians have given me greater insight into the world and influences on the Hebrews during the old testament.

I am thinking of adding in Biblioplan next year.

My ds is 4 & dd is 16 mo., so I have plenty of time. I had a little free time last week while visiting family, so I decided to obsess about our future! But I'm a planner & like to think ahead. I'd also like to pick something & stick with it, although I know that's unlikely. If I lean more toward MFW, them I'll probably start with their preschool in the fall. If I lean more toward Biblioplan &/or SCM (Simply Charlotte Mason), I might try Answers for Preschoolers or MFW K as pre-k & 1st as K. . . makes perfect sense, right? ;-)

I really need to pray about this & give it to God. We're making plans to go to the HEAV convention in June, so I'll be obsessing again in a couple of months. For now, I'll seek advice & print off samples. Maybe dh will help if he has hard copies in hand. I just don't want to go to the convention without some preparation. I already have so many exhibitors I want to visit!

You do have plenty of time to consider your options. I have 2 dds ages 4 (K5) & 6 (1st grade) and what I've come to realize and regret is what I didn't do with them when they were in preschool which was PLAY!! I was running through a formal curriculum instead of playing, singing and having more fun. Learning should be fun, right? If you just can't seem to envision homeschooling without a curriculum use something that's really hands-on and has plenty of games, songs and stories. Most important: Read to them. I do have one suggestion: Starfall.com . It's awesome. There are tons of videos and games to help kids solidify their phonics skills. Plus its free. There is an option to purchase a subscription/curriculum which might be worth looking into.